55 // Steel Heart

He'd stopped trusting people after her. No, not as in he didn't make friends, but he didn't trust people with his love. He had been hurt too much, too easily, by all of the people he had given his heart to. There was no way he would do so without getting to know them and who they are as a person, and what they were like as a partner. Maybe, just maybe, then he would give his heart out.

When he did what he had told himself he would do, he met someone. This 'someone' went by the name of y/n. He'd started talking to her through Ryan, one of his two roommates. Y/n was a nice girl, someone that caught his attention more than the others. She had an interesting story to tell, seeing as the place she had come from was, well, interesting.

Something else that got him interested in her was the way her personality worked; the way she was always so helpful and upbeat whenever she was able to, intrigued him. But, if you looked long enough, you could see every little scar and bruise that made her who she was. Mark knew she wasn't 'perfect', per se, but she was damn near it to him. 

The one thing he didn't know about her, in the time they had talked over a good year and a half, was the way she was with her heart. Was she like him? With a heart made of gold, but protected by the strongest of armor?

Not knowing made it a little better for him, as he didn't have to worry about whether or not he would have to break down the walls and barriers she had set up to get to know her. No, he didn't have to worry about that, but he did need to know how she would be with him, and if they even saw each other in the same light in the other's eyes.

Once he got to the point of his heart racing almost every time he was around her, he knew he was beginning to fall for her. It wasn't like he minded falling for her, it was that she didn't show her emotions too much, and he didn't know if falling for her would be the best idea for him.

Now, don't get him wrong, he could end up falling in love with her and her with him, but what would happen further down the road? Would she make it perfect for him and then up and leave without a moment's notice? That was what he needed to know. Sure, he had thought this multiple times, in  multiple ways, but he really did wonder what was going to happen.

When he talked to her earlier that same day, he asked her what she thought of love. At first, she seemed a little dumbfounded at the sudden question, but once he explained, she answered. She'd said she really didn't know, that she thought it may have been a little overused. 

That maybe it could be better if people loved other people with faithfulness, and not just because they offered this one specific thing. Then she looked at him and asked the same question. Just like her before, he was a little taken aback; he wasn't sure what to do. But, when she continue to wait, he offered up his answer.

"Love itself is only a virtue. It's like when you want something in your life so badly, or you can't function without it. But, sometimes, people don't like that or take it seriously – and people end up with broken hearts. So, I say, you need to trust someone a lot before you tell them you need them in your life," his explanation seemed to make her think, the gears turning in her mind. 

Finally, she was able to take in what he'd said, and she was speechless with wide eyes. That was probably the moment when he realized that he needed her in his life, that she was his one virtue; she wanted to know what he thought, she would think about what he had to say. There were obviously other things, but those two were the ones to stand out in the moment he was currently in.

Inevitably, in the end, he realized he loved her, and that he could give her his heart, and take down his armor. He was almost shocked when she said that she loved him, too and that she gave him heart and faith to him. So, maybe it did take a year and a half, and maybe it did take a lot of thinking and questioning, but when he knew it was time, he laid down his armor, and her walls broken. 

And, maybe, just for a moment, everything was good in the world.