46 // Stormy Nights

The rain had been coming down hard that night, which was quite a surprise considering rain wasn't too common in California. You were sound asleep, cuddled up next to Mark. Chica was at the foot of the bed, asleep just like you two, but then there was Lego. He was walking in circles, going up and down the stairs, shaking at the sound of the thunder booming and the lightning putting an electric light in the house.

He had always done this, acting like a guard dog for you and the rest of the boys in the house. However, Ryan and Matt had been back in South Carolina, visiting their families - Ryan trusting that you could keep Lego in check while he was gone. Your door had been shut, completely out of the habit you two had developed when it came to sleeping because you wanted the boys to know that you were in fact sleeping, and not ready to be disturbed.

Lego had made at least five rounds up and down the stairs, deciding, finally, to open the bedroom door and check to see if you were alive or not. When he saw your bodies weren't moving, he jumped up onto the bed, startling Chica awake, along with Mark. You hadn't realized he had jumped up and stayed asleep, content that you were able to lay down with Mark.

When Mark woke up, he immediately checked to see if you were okay, and if there were any intruders in the house - staying in bed, of course. Then he came to the realization that it was only Lego freaking out about the loud storm overhead. He just shook his head, rubbed Lego's nose before pushing his face out of the way and laying back down with you, pulling you securely against him.

Again, Lego made a movement, and this time, you were woken up instead. Your eyes shot open, the feel of Mark's arms around you only calming you a slight bit because you knew he wasn't in any type of danger. Then, much like him before you, you saw Lego, his face in yours and felt the vibrations he was making by shaking from fear. 

You expected as much from him, knowing that he had been afraid of the storms, so you only whispered, "It'll be okay, Lego, just lay down." Mark started to tug you back down by the waist, letting out a muffled whine. You let out a small giggle, placing your hand on his arms and rubbing it for a second before turning your attention back to Lego.

You repeated what you had said to Lego, and he did as ordered this time, except instead of laying down by Chica or on the floor, he got in between you and Mark, nestling down and closing his eyes. You laughed almost too loudly at this, only laughing harder when Mark shot up from his spot and glared down at the scared german shepherd. You climbed out of bed, going over to Mark's side and pulling him out before climbing back onto the bed and pushing Lego toward the edge of your side of the bed.

Once the task was completed, you got under the covers, pulling Mark down as well. You two resumed your original position, Mark pulling you closer than before, just in case Lego tried to get into the tiny gap between.

The night went without a hitch, for the most part. Lego did end up getting up off the bed and going back downstairs once the storm stopped making as much noise. You were the one to wake up, this time, sighing in relief when Mark didn't - you didn't need his grumpiness. You scooted over a small bit, your head back on your own pillow, even if it was just barely past the edge. Mark didn't stir, which you were again, grateful for, and you nodded back off to sleep. 

When the morning came, you were greeted with the same warmth around your waist, except Mark was now flush against you and his breaths were cascading over the shell of your ear and the back of your neck. You didn't dare open your eyes, the feeling too great and you feared the sun burning them with its rays. Instead, you nuzzled into his body, if it were at all possible, and tried to go back to sleep. 

Well, tried. Before you could actually fall into the arms of sleep once again, Chica and Lego came running in, their paw clicks echoing from the hallway into the carpeted room. You knew what they wanted but simply didn't want to move from your warm and comfortable spot.

Alas, Lego was about to let out a bark, which Chica would then accompany, and would wake Mark. You didn't know why you never wanted to wake Mark from his sleep, but since he got so little so often, you felt like he deserved to have his rest with little to no interruptions. You pulled yourself out of Mark's grasp, causing a whine, much like the night before, to emit from his sleeping form. You leaned over and kissed his temple, turning back toward the pups and pointing forward, letting them know you were headed that way.

They raced after one another, and even though Chica was around a year older than Lego, you could see them being a cute little doggy couple or a good brother and sister. You went down the stairs, taking the turn and stretching as you yawned. You put a little pep in your step and hopped from the second to last step to the floor, sliding on the wood floor to the back door and letting the riled up pupperschnups outside.

You sighed, knowing you probably wouldn't be able to go back to sleep or get back in the position you were in. Deciding to just make some coffee, you walked into the kitchen, having a clear view of the early morning sunrise and the dogs running and chasing each other around before filling up on water just to go and pee it out somewhere. You let a small smirk makes it way to your lips, turning around and getting on your tiptoes to search the upper cabinets for the preferred coffee. You cursed the boys under your breath, wishing they weren't so tall, so you wouldn't have to do this almost every morning.

Finally getting the coffee cup you wanted, you placed it in the Keurig, listening as it brewed and popped a hole in the small K-Cup before pouring it into the cup just underneath the dispenser. You bent over, leaning on the counter with your hands in fists and your head propped up on them. Your mind started to wander over to Mark and what he was doing at this moment and whether or not he was asleep. 

It was taking awhile for the coffee thing to brew, so you let out yet another sigh that got caught in your throat for a quick second when you felt two warm arms around your waist. You realized who it was almost immediately after, twisting around and looking up at him as he smiled down at you. His brown eyes looked tired, and his lips, to you, looked a little lonely, so you, again, got on your tiptoes and kissed him, tasting the minty toothpaste he must've used before he came down here. You then rested your forehead on his bare chest and kissed the little dip in his collar bone, just because you could.

His head rested atop yours, his arms holding you as close as possible while the sound of the coffee brewer finishing filled your ears. You only dug your head further into his chest, not wanting to be released from his firm and safe grasp. He chuckled, going along with your antics and holding you closer, digging his head into the crook your shoulder.

Thank you, Lego. You made this man sleepy and adorable. Thank you.