What Eli Knows

It’s Tuesday, Tuesday morning to be exact. I just don’t feel like going to school today. If I do, I’ll be late. I laid my head on Ricky’s chest and traced the scars that marked it up. I listened to the steady beat of his heart and watched as his chest rose and fell in his peaceful sleep. Why do I love this guy?

He showed up at my apartment last night like he usually does. Except this time we didn’t fight. We didn’t argue. I was just too heartbroken and exhausted that I couldn’t argue with him and beg him to leave me alone. Nope instead I fell into his arms and let him lead me into the bedroom where we had our way with each other. For the first time in a long time it felt good. We usually just have casual sex. I wake up; leave, and he won’t come back for a couple of days.

We made love this time.

I was sad, he was sad, for whatever reason, and we just…we needed each other. I needed his arms around me and he needed me close to him. I could feel the urgency and dependence in his kiss and I’m sure he could feel the sadness and desperation in mine. I couldn’t bring myself to just get up and leave him this morning. I wanted to know why he was so sad and if I had done my job of taking away his problems for the night.

He sure as hell did his job.

Whether I want to admit it or not, Carla loved Lyle and…Lyle loved Carla. They were going to make a great couple. She maybe a huge and total bitch and doesn’t deserve Lyle by any stretch of the imagination, but he loved her. She was going to make him happy. There was no if, and, or buts and it. They were getting married, and I have accepted it. They’re getting married and that’s the end of that. I looked up at Ricky and I could tell he was awake.

“You okay?” I asked running my hand along his chest.

“I am now.” I nodded and smiled into his chest. “Why aren’t you gone? Don’t you have school or some shit?”

“I don’t feel like going.” I mumbled into his skin. I buried my face in his chest as I listed to the old timely jazz music that was still playing from last night. Ricky was listening to it when I got home; it was kind of our thing. We both like really old standards that no one from our generate has probably even heard of. He chuckled as he reached down the side of the bed and pulled a pack of cigarettes and a lighter from the pocket of his jeans. It worried me that he still carried a lighter everywhere he went but, I didn’t think too much of it at the moment. He blew the smoke up towards the ceiling.

“I’m fighting again.” He said randomly. I scrunched my brow in confusion.

“Why? I thought he pulled you out because he had better things for you to do.”

“It’s because he made me punish Erica. She can’t fight until her wounds heal. Since I was the one that punished her I have to fight for her until she gets better.”

“That’s stupid.” I grumbled.

“Yeah well…I don’t mind all that much.”

“Isn’t Chris supposed to punish you guys anyway? He’s the father, the father is supposed to discipline the children.” He laughed.

“That’s what I said…he’s training me to take over the gang.” I looked up at him in shock.

“Really?” he nodded and blew the smoke from the cigarette to the side away from my face. He only did that around me. If I were anyone else he wouldn’t move an inch and let the smoke go wherever he blew it. He wouldn’t have minded if he blew the smoke in your face. He would say it’s your fault and you should have moved. He always made sure to blow the smoke away from me though. “What did you have to punish Erica for?” he sighed and shook his head.