The Cousin

“I hate December.” Ty groaned sitting in his seat. Hannah looked at him as if he had just pulled out his own eye.

“What? December is like the best month of the year! It will be my first Christmas with a long term boyfriend.” She smiled.

“You’re still dating Dylan?” I asked surprised.

“Yup,” she smiled. Ty mumbled under his breath and turned around. He knew the truth; he just didn’t have the heart to say it. Hannah was lying again, except it was worse this time. This was about someone we both knew. Her lie could be easily found out, and it made me curious as to why she said it in the first place. “Riley I know he’s your brother and all, but I really want to tell you something and you have to promise not to tell Dylan.” I scrunched my brow in confused. Dylan’s not my brother? I thought I told her Eli was…or maybe I just told Lyle that? Shit wait a second, what? How does Hannah keep up with all this shit?

“Okay.” I said just playing along.

“I’m kind of talking to Tyler again.”

“Who?”

“Tyler…my ex. Remember?”

“Oh yeah, I remember.” He’s the one that doesn’t exist. “I won’t tell.” I said, just trying to get her off topic so she would stop. “How’s your cousin same?”

“He’s still living with us.” She frowned. “His dad is having a hard time.” I nodded understanding. Sam was Hannah’s cousin who worked at McDonalds…or maybe it was Subway? Wherever he worked, his dad beat the living shit out of him. He was a drunk too, poor kid. Made me promise not to tell anyone and also made me promise to be good to his cousin. He was a good kid.

“Is he spending Christmas with you guys?”

“Yeah, I think he’s moving in permanently. How is Christmas going to go for you? What are you and your boyfriend doing?” I cringed at the word boyfriend. I shrugged and looked over at Mr. Clark who I guess decided that teaching wasn’t worth while today. Our new assignment was written on the board along with the due date. I wonder what was up with that. “Do you want to go Christmas shopping with me Thursday?” Hannah chirped. I looked at her as if she had grown another head. 

“It’s only the fifth.”

“We’ve got to get stuff early before it all sells out.” I rolled my eyes.

“Sure, but I don’t have anyone to buy things for.”

“What about your mom and dad.”

“Business trip.” I said without even thinking. It had become a trigger response.

“Still?” I had to think of a better story.

“They were back for a while. They came back a little bit after Thanksgiving but my dad left for a convention last night and my mom is going to spend the holiday with her family.”