Lift Your Foot Off The Gas!

“You went to jail, didn’t you?” I looked over at my new coworker in shock. We were both working register. In short, we weren’t doing shit, we were just sitting around. I had to go out and work the pumps at 4 during rush hour when we were busy. His name was Carson, but I’m sure no one outside of this building called him that. I recognized him as soon as he walked into the gas station. He was in a gang; he worked for K-fed. Chris did business with them on seldom occasions.

“What?”

“You ain’t gotta lie. I could see it in ya eye as soon as I walked in. You’ve been locked up before I can tell. Haven’t you?”

“Yeah,” I said restocking the candy bars around the register.

“How long was you in there?”

“I was supposed to be in there for a year but the court cut me some slack if I said I would go to rehab. So I ended up only spending six months in there.”

“Six months is still a long time.”

“Yeah I know.”

“I spent nine months up in that mothafucka.”

“What did you do?” I asked.

“I robbed a liquor store.”

“Dumbass,” I giggled. I bent down to put the candy bars away. I felt a hand on my ass and I immediately turned around and smacked his hand away.

“Ouch, god damn Shorty,” he seethed cradling his hand. 

“I got a boyfriend who will literally sho0t you in the fucking head. Keep your hands off me, not to mention Gianni will throw a bitch fit if he finds out you were hitting on me.”

“Iight, my bad.” He said putting his hands up in surrender. He smirked at me. “I knew you was in a gang.”

“No.” I scoffed. “I’m not even really supposed to be talking about this shit with a perfect stranger. I’m kind of in a witness protection program kind of thing.”

“You mean you ran away and they looking for your ass.” He laughed

“No, I just went to jail and…didn’t feel like coming back.”

“Oh! So you that Riley, the pr0stitute we was looking all over for.” I growled.

“Why does everyone call me that? I was not a pr0stitute, the only people I slept with were my boyfriend and my boss! I cooked c0caine, pushed weed, and showed up to a few parties as a distraction during the deals. Okay never once did I sell my body! I don’t do that shit!”

“Okay sorry!” he laughed. “I just figured since you was one of Don Kelly’s girls and he’s a p!mp and all. It would make sense if you were a pr0stitute.”

“I didn’t work for Don Kelly. I worked for his brother.” I mumbled.

“Hmm, my bad, they were both looking for you. We were working for Kelly cause he cut a deal with Dion. He was really…passionate about finding you before Chris did. I thought he was just trying to get you before Chris did so he couldn’t steal you. Since Chris aint a stranger to stealing Kelly’s things.”

“Okay one, I am not a thing. I am a person, I have a brain, I have a beating heart, you cut me I bleed, I am not a thing people can just claim. Alright?”

“Alright.”

“Two, Chris doesn’t steal Kelly’s things; it’s actually the other way around. Chris only takes the thing Kelly casts aside like shit and all of sudden Kelly wants them back when Chris takes them and makes them look shiny and brand new again.” I grumbled.