Get Your Shit Together!

“I heard you and my brother are in love.” I smiled when I heard Johanna’s voice carry over the phone.

“He told you?”

“Yeah, and I got to tell you something.”

“What?”

“I’m happy for you. It’s about time he gets a girl he deserves.” I smiled. “So what’s the situation with you and my dealer.” I froze.

“Ricky?”

“Yeah,”

“I’m done with him. I haven’t seen him since my birthday. I haven’t talked to him either. If you’re worried about me cheating or leaving or hurting Lyle, you don’t have to.”

“I’m not worried about you hurting him…I’m worried someone else will.” I frowned.

“Nobody is going to find out about us.”

“Riley, you have the most influence men in one of the most dangerous gangs in Arizona in love with you. Two of them know where you are. The other thinks you’re dead. One of them knows where you live, the other one lives with you. Someone is bound to find out.”

“Eli wouldn’t tell anyone.”

“I know Eli, and I’m sure he’s run for the hills before he puts you in any danger.” I scoffed at how dead on she was. “I’m just saying your ex is unstable. He’s an angry possessive man. I’m sure you can handle him he’s already tried to kill you once. It’s Lyle I’m worried about. He’s only ever seen Chris on a good day. He doesn’t know about…hell I don’t even know about Chris. I’ve been the one to clean up Blake after a he’s done something wrong. I understand the mind set he keeps you guys in, so I know what he’s capable of. Lyle doesn’t. He was never a part of the gang he was just a kid in trouble who got out when he could. I like you Riley, in fact I love you like a daughter. When you ran away a piece of me left with you.” I sucked my breath in. “But he’s my brother.” Her voice was deep and serious. My heart stopped.

“I understand.”

“About your mother.” I groaned. “I’ve met her.”

“I’m sure you have.” I mumbled. “Everyone seems to know my mother but me.”

“I didn’t know she was your mom when I met her.”

“But you found out somewhere in between the time of you meeting me and this moment, didn’t you!” she didn’t say anything. “I’m tired of the lies Jo.” I whispered.

“I know…me too.”

“All of them. When are you going to tell Lyle about…You know?”

“I’m not that bad.”

“Jo, you were high as a goddamn kite on thanksgiving. You’re an alcoholic and Logan told me he found your oxy.”