Speak

I found out that Carla and Lyle were staying in the room next to me. The house was huge and built in a weird sort of way. There is a hall just filled with rooms, Lyle and Carla are in the room to right of me and after that the hall stops. That’s not how I found out I was staying next to them. No, the walls are very thin, and I can hear everything that goes on in there room.

Everything

Lucky for me Carla wasn’t sleeping in their room tonight, she was sleeping in the same room as some of the other women. I guess it was married into the family sleepover night or something. Either way I didn’t car, I was just happy they had it in someone else’s room and not Carla’s.

I was fast asleep…I mean I was knocked out, when I heard voices. I groaned and rolled over; I looked over my shoulder to see if their conversation had woken up Krisy. She was curled up in a ball with her thumb stuck in her mouth. I smiled and sighed with relief; I grabbed a pillow to throw over my head when I heard Mr. Clark’s voice. I looked over at the clock; it was 2:00 in the morning.

Did he just get back?

“So after all these years, that’s all you have to say to me?” Lyle, he sounded angry.

“You act like the reason we haven’t talked in forever is my fault.” That’s not Carla…I don’t know who that is. I heard him scoff. I looked over at Krisy and pulled the blankets up and made her more comfortable so she wouldn’t wake up. I sat up and placed my ear to the wall, at this point it felt like I was actually in the room. “I’ve called you numerous times, and you change your number. I send you letters in the mail and you send them all back, unopened. You don’t respond to any of my emails! I try Lyle; you’re the one that’s ignoring me!”

“Jenika, do you really expect me to welcome you back into my life with open arms after what you did?” he’s talking to his sister. I had never heard Mr. Clark’s voice so flat and serious.

“What I did?” she sounded angry. “I didn’t do anything.”

“Exactly.” I had no idea what they were talking about, but I had a feeling that was supposed to sting. It was quiet for a while, and all I could hear was their breathing. I wondered if they could hear mine too.

“We’ve been talking about this for hours. I think this is as far as we’re going to get. You see things differently than I do and there is nothing that’s going to change that.”

“That’s bullshit.” He scoffed.

“Lyle, we’re getting nowhere with this! You’re my brother and I feel like I don’t even know you. I haven’t talked to you in years, and I barely know anything about you. I don’t want to fight anymore. I want to have a relationship with you, a good one. This whole time we’ve seen each other all we’ve talked about is this ugly situation I wish we could just put in the past and move on from. Can’t you see I’m trying to compromise with you?”

“There is no comprising on this Jenika! Either it happened or it didn’t! Two people can’t tell the same story in three different ways! There is no comprising on this! The only difference between our stories is that I see the truth and you refuse to acknowledge what went on in that house! Until you can do that there can be no relationship between us. Why can’t you understand that?” I jumped when I heard him yell, I had never heard Mr. Clark so angry. Every time I see him upset he holds it in himself. He grinds his teeth and clenches his fists while he tries his best not to yell. This was a completely different side to him; a side I didn’t know existed.

“I just don’t understand you. Our father loves us. You’re his only son and he misses you. He talks about you all the time and all he wants is for you to forgive him for whatever it is you think he did to you so you two can have a relationship again. He reached out to you on thanksgiving…do you know it broke his heart when you didn’t show up.”

“I don’t give a shit Jenika.”

“Why!”

“It’s not that hard to understand! It’s black and fucking white! Why is it so hard?”

“Because I don’t believe you!” it got quiet. “If what you say really happened, why didn’t you call the cops, or run away like your friend did, or just tell somebody!”

“I tried! I told you! Look where that got me.” His voice cracked and my heart clenched. I heard a strangled cry, and I’m not sure who it belonged to…and I didn’t really want to know.

“I guess we’re back where we started aren’t we.” Jenika whispered.

“Yeah…I guess we are.” I heard someone shift, and another person sniffle. “Don’t touch me.” Mr. Clark whispered, his voice sounded hoarse and dark. Jenika sighed.

“Dad will be here for Christmas dinner…whether you want him there or not. He just wants to see you again. That’s all.” Lyle huffed. “I love you Lyle. Despite everything I will always love you. You know that…don’t you?” I heard someone shift, and then some tumbling. I heard a small whimper…I’m sure it came from Jenika.

“I said don’t touch me.”

“Lyle…you’re hurting me.” I heard a push and a sigh. “Lyle…”

“Goodnight Jenika.” I heard his door open and close quickly. I leaned down in my bed and shut my eyes.

I decided to pretend that this night never happened…I decided to pretend that I didn’t know anything.