Hands Off

“Whoa,” Eli whistled as he walked in. I was cleaning. I just couldn’t stop cleaning. “What the hell is going on?” I was whipping down all of the tables for the third time. I stopped and looked up at Eli’s confused and slightly horrified face.

“I called Ricky.” His expression didn’t change.

“Why?”

“I…I didn’t know who else to call.”

“I could name a couple of people. Me, Lyle, Blake, Johanna, her son what’s his name, that weird friend of yours Tina.”

“He was the only one I could call that wouldn’t lie to me.”

“I won’t lie to you!”

“Yeah but you bullshit me, that’s what you do. You bullshit me.”

“Okay,” he sighed knowing I was right. “What did he say?”

“He said the same thing you, Blake, and Jo have been telling me. She’s fucked up.” I sniffled and rubbed my nose. “But he told me I should meet her anyway.” He looked surprised. “He said I shouldn’t tell her too much about me. If it’s possible I shouldn’t even tell her I’m her daughter. But I should meet her, I should get my questions answered.” He sighed and ran his hand down his face.

“So what are going to do?” I shrugged.

“I don’t know yet. I still haven’t talked to one person.”

“Lyle?” I nodded.

“I asked for the day off work. He’s coming over later.” Eli nodded. “You know we don’t have stay here, we can go back to his place or…”

“No, it’s fine. I mean you two love each other right? I broke up with you so you could be with him. Now you are with him. This is what I wanted, I just…I made my bed and now I have lay in it.”

“Are you sure?”

“I love you Riley, but I can’t have you. I decided to stay because you’re my best friend. I can’t imagine my life without you in it. I just can’t…I’ve tried. I just want to see you happy. Are you happy?” I gave him a small smile and I nodded. “Good.” He sighed and looked down the hall. “Are you going to be in the bedroom?” I shook my head.

“No, I cleaned in there already. You can have it.”

“Okay, I’ll be in the bedroom then.” I nodded and watched him walk into my bedroom and close the door behind him. I picked up a broom and started sweeping. It didn’t take long for Lyle to show up. I opened to door and smiled when I saw him.

“Hey.” He said grinning down at me. He stuck his head into the apartment and looked around. He stuck his hands in his pockets as he walked in. He bit his lip as his eyes moved around the small space. “You cleaned?”