Homecomming

Thanksgiving Plans

When we got to Carla’s parent’s house, I left almost immediately. I said hi to her mom and visited her dad, but didn’t stay long. I couldn’t handle the growing tension between Carla and me. She made it clear that she wanted to go to my dad’s house; I made it clear that I wasn’t going to let her. I just had to get away from her so that I could cool off and she could calm down. We were no good to each other when we were both like this.

“Where are you going?” she asked leaning against the door of the car.

“To Johanna’s house.” She nodded and tried to act like this wasn’t bothering her but I could tell something was eating at her.

“Just…Stay out of trouble okay?” I looked at her confused.

“I’m not the one to go looking for it Carla, you know that.”

“I know it’s just. It’s been a long time since we’ve been back here. I’m not sure if Blake is working or not but I’m sure that when he’s done he is going to want to hang out and Jo is always in some sort of trouble and our high school is just up the road and you know that bad stuff always happens there and-”

“Carla, I’ll be careful okay?” she nodded.

“Okay.” I gave her a kiss on the cheek and smiled at her.

“Don’t worry so much. I’m 23 not 12, I know how to handle myself.” She just smiled but I could tell that it was still going to bother her. I backed out of the driveway and dialed mom’s number. It rang three times like always. She would wait and then pick it up to make it seem like she wasn’t sitting around by the phone all day. If it hit four rings, she just wouldn’t pick it up at all. My mom was weird like that. She wanted to seem important and busy, even to her children.

“Hello.”

“Hi ma, how are you?”

“Lyle!” she cheered. “I’m fine, how are you?”

“Good. Hey I’m in town for a little bit. I’m spending thanksgiving with Carla’s family. I just thought I might let you know.”

“How ironic, Corbin lives in your part of town. I was thinking of visiting the two of you!” I laughed at the thought of driving right past her.

“Carla’s going to be mad.” She laughed.

“Your father called me last night.” She said taking on a graver tone. I frowned.

“He did. Funny he talked to Carla this morning. What did he want?”

“He wanted to know a way to get a hold of you to talk. He has cancer Lyle.”

“No he doesn’t.” I scoffed.

“What?”

“I know my father. He doesn’t have cancer. He’s just telling everyone that because he’s bored and lonely. He probably has some sort of condition that requires him to make regular visits to the hospital but it’s far from cancer. I can guarantee that once he doesn’t have to keep going he’ll tell everyone that he made a miraculous recovery and in this lie he’ll hope to become closer to me or ruin my life all over again. No thanks. You people can do that but I’m not.”