Welcome Back

It was officially 11 o clock; it had only been an hour since Ricky had left. I was emotionally raw, lonely, my medicine was wearing off, and I had run out of tears to shed and emotions to feel. But through it all one thing was for certain, I was officially 18 and I hadn’t heard a single thing from Lyle all day. Not even a text message, and Blake had somehow managed to send me a text message saying happy birthday, so why couldn’t Lyle? Why do I care, I didn’t even want to celebrate my birthday in the first place.

Someone had opened my door and waltz right into my apartment. I didn’t flinch, if they knew the door was unlocked, they knew me well enough. It was probably Blake. I knew it wasn’t Ricky; Ricky wasn’t going to come back tonight. I knew that was for sure…I was a little scared he would go off a k!ll someone else, but I knew for a fact he wasn’t coming back here. Normally when we disappoint each other like that he likes to gain some space and then comes back around the next day with apologies or demanded explanations depending on which one of us fucked up.

“Happy birthday.” I knew that husky voice anywhere. I felt hot lips hit the side of my head and just like always my heart melted. No, it wasn’t Lyle like I had hoped and prayed it would be, it was someone much more confusing and conflicting.

Eli

“Thank you.” I said as he came around and sat next to me on the couch.

“What are you watching?” he asked confused as he put his arm on the back of the couch. I took a sip of my drink and cradled it in my hands as I began to explain.

“I was watching Finding Nemo.” I said holding up the case. “Ricky brought it over and we were supposed to watch it together, but that didn’t work out. So I decided to watch it by myself, then it got sad. Have you ever seen Finding Nemo?” he nodded. “Well the mom died and it got me thinking about my mom and how I was supposed to go on this wild chase and go find her or something. I had decided that’s what I was going to do when I turned 18 but reality kind of slapped me in the face and it got me thinking about how my mom is probably dead.” He cringed. “Then Nemo got snatched up by that diver and his dad was going crazy trying to get to him and that pissed me off. I’m sitting here thinking about how Nemo is a little shit. I mean I wish I had someone who loved me that much to be as over bearing as his dad but he just goes and breaks his heart without even a second thought. Spoiled little brat,” I mumbled, “So I turned it off. Now I’m watching Futurama because Futurama makes sense, and my life doesn’t.”

“Futurama makes sense?” Eli asked squinting at the screen. “Futurama has a taking lobster and a Cyclops as main characters.”

“It takes place in the year 3000, okay. Shut the fuck up.” He laughed and shook his head. “What are you doing here anyway?”

“I came over to say happy birthday.” He smiled at me. “I’ve missed you.” I shrugged and took another sip. I hiccupped.

“you could have called.”

“I wanted to see you.”

“Why?”

“I love you Riley.” He grabbed my hands. I frowned.