Chapter 10- The gutsiest thing I've ever said

*Zack's POV*

It wasn't long before Alex got fed up of Rian complaining about his smell and stormed off to the showers. I chuckled to myself at how childish he was, it was about time he got a wakeup call about hygiene. I slipped my shoes on, humming slowly to the sound of Jack playing a mellow chorus on his guitar.

"I'm going for a run" I stated, and Rian nodded as a reply.

"Get back before dinner, it's Alex's turn to make something!" Jack cried enthusiastically but his attitude soon dimmed as he realised that meant we would all go hungry or die of food poisoning.

"Tell Alex when he gets back that I'll fetch dinner while I'm there" I answered, realising how hungry I was and that I couldn't afford to skip dinner. Jack's eyes widened with happiness and Rian gave me an appreciate smile. I left the bus in a jog but it soon picked up into a run as I reached the sidewalk that surrounded the venue. Normally, people listen to music on their runs and I supposed it was to keep them occupied, but I liked the sound of my footsteps and wind rushing in my ears. I ran as far as I could and took lots of turns left and right until my breathing was heavy and my legs were beginning to numb. I slowed to a light jog as I approached a small park with a big pond and a little bridge across a narrow stretch of its waters, what appeared to be water lilies in the light of dusk, floated on the surface of the pond and huge trees were scatter across the small park.

As I got closer, I tilted my head slightly to see a figure standing in the middle of the bridge, looking down at the water. I was wary not to disturb them as I approached the bridge, walking slowly and then stopping as I reached her and recognised who she was.

I decide the best thing to do was to do what I did best and that was be silent. I took in a deep breath and looked down at the dim water, that oh so beautifully reflected the pink and lilac sky, preparing itself for sunset. Hayley looked up at me and smiled brightly.

"Hello Zachary, what brings you here?, Beautiful isn't it?" she chirped, jumping around to face me so that I could see her face.

"Hi- um- Just went for a run...Yes..." I replied, wanting to slap myself at struggling to get my words out. Talking was never really my thing, although it seemed to be hers,.

"Yes? What do you mean by yes?" She asked, retaining the smile on her face.

"Um... I mean yes, it is really quite beautiful, the sky" I replied, confused at first. Under the dim light of dusk, her hair looked less unnatural but instead glowed a warm orange. She was wearing a pair of black leggings and an oversized denim shirt and she looked comfy and warn with her fingerless gloves.

"You're weird" She giggled and I was surprised to find that when she saw my face she giggled harder, normally people se a muscly guy like me give them the death stare they run for the hills, never mind she was much smaller and must've weighed less that a slab of butter.

"Ahaha, oh my god, if looks could kill I'd be burning in hell somewhere!" She laughed and punched my arm gently, which made me smile and laugh simply because she was so bizarre she was funny.

"Yes, because I'm the weird one" I retorted, finding my feet in the conversation and laughing some more as she pretended to be offended. She wasn't very good at pretending due her uncontrollable giggles. Once we had finished she smiled and looked up at the sky, it's swirls of lilac and pink beginning to turn to a deep violet. I watched her smile and instantaneously and said the gutsiest thing I have ever said.

"Let's go for a walk" I spoke softly and she looked at me slowly as her eyes lit up.

"That would be great" She said equally as softly and smiled.

Before I knew she linked arms with me and was dragging me from the park enthusiastically.

Somehow, she put a smile on my face for absolutely no reason.