Chapter 47- Double Dutch Wedding Anouncements

Tay's Point of View

In the ten minute walk from the car park to the restaraunt, Jenna has gone from loud, confident and glowing to silent. I'm beginning to think that she's struggling with something internal. I don't ask her though, because I'm certain that she will brighten up as the evening goes on. The resaraunt is packed- I'm glad Cassadee made a booking, otherwise we might've ended up at Mac Donalds- and we're seated against the wall, filled with vintage posters of adverts and pin-up girls. The place is actually called 'Pin-Up Bar & Bistro' and the ceiling is filled with brightly coloured paper lanterns. We sit down and soon a waitor comes over with a bottle of champagne and plates of tester entrees. I beeline for the spring rolls, oh how I love them, but Cassadee smiles and holds up the champagne bottle.

"Before we start, I have a very important announcement to share with you guys, and a very important question to ask of you." She begins. She's glowing, smiling brightly. Even Jenna smiles back in response. Hayley, who sits beside her, places a hand on her arm and grins.

"Oh go on, don't leave us hanging!" She says and Cassadee giggles. She smiles and moves her mouth as though to suggest she has no idea howput things into words. 

"Rian and I are getting married!" The table errupts in involuntary squeals. We are all excited- gobsmacked- and bouncing up and down like complete girls. Now I see why she's so happy. Hayley is on the verge of tears- now she's crying- with happiness. Jenna is red with shock but she laughs anyway. I just sit with my mouth open like a confused child before high-fiving her.

"Oh my god! Cass!" Hayley exclaims, wiping the bottom of her eyes and hugs her tightly. Cass smiles uncontrollably. 

"I can't believe it myself, really. I wanted you guys -if you want to- if you would like to be my bridesmaids?." She asks. It takes few seconds for it to settle in. Us? Bridesmaids. Hayley's eyes nearly pop out of her skull. I think she's tearing again. 

"Yes yes yes!" Hayley whispers loudly and squeezes Cassadee's hands. I smile warmly at her and reach out for her other hand.

"Of course Cass, I'd love too." I say. Jenna follows, lifting up her champagne glass.

"It's a yes from me, a toast! To Rian and Cassadee!" She says, a warm, happy spirit errupting from her previously solemn face. We pour ourselves some champagne, the pinkish bubbles reflecting the ecstatic mood we're in, and drink. We eat all of the entrees, Hayley spilling half of a garlic prawn down the front of her dress, we giggle loudly and consistently. It's nine o'clock by the time it comes to when we want to order. The mains don't seem to click so we head straight for the dessert menu. Icecreams, cheesecakes, mousses, pies and tarts are all on the tasting plates so we order the treats by the plateful. Jenna proves to be the funniest of all of us, and orders us a few bottles of champagne to save for the after party.

We pay and walk back to the carpark where we set up on Jenna's double bed, borrowing old T-shirts and pajama pants. We have a midnight feast that runs until one in the morning. Despite the mountains of food in our stomachs, we finish another bottle of Champagne and two buckets of icecream. Turns out Jenna has a secret stash of peanut butter Ben & Jerry's. It's a real sleepover-vibe, like the one's I remember wishing I had in highschool. We fall asleep watching Proposal, which we picked because (1) we're in a wedding mood, (2) Sandra Bullock is hilarious and (3) Ryan Reynolds is the hottest man alive. The last thing I think of is how grateful I am to have friends like Hayley, Jenna and Cassadee.

Alex's Point of View

Jack and I eventually head home. He's slightly less tight, walking -no, slumping towards the carpark. I've never seen him this down. He chats like there's nothing wrong though, despite the fact that we jut had the most intense conversation to date. I like and hate that about Jack. He's relaxed and easy going, always trying to be happy, but he never allows himself to break down, never allows the though that he needs help, that he needs people. I play along, trying to cheer him up by humming and singing softly. He laughs a little and sings along too (I am, afterall, singing my special mix of his two favourites, Teenage Dirtbag and Pokerface). There's a girly racket coming from one of the buses, so we continue to fool around in our Lady Gags impersonations until we ge tto the bus. Once we're in, I serenade Rian in the kitchen, who taps along to the beat with the chopsticks o the chinese takeout waitng for us on the kitchen table. Zack is on the couch, playing solitaire with the half-missing pack of cards. I don't think he knows jack and I destroyed half of the pack in attempt of making a robot out of playing cards. Stapling didn't work. 

"Where've you two been?" Rian asks, bringing the chinese to the couch. Jack and I sit on the floor. Zack slips down the couch to join. Rian follows, leaning against the couch. He hands out the boxes and chopsticks.

"Wonton noodles with tofu sticks for Zack, Honey chicken chow mein for Alex, Sweet and Sour noodles for Jack and BBQ pork for me. Oh yeah and spring rolls" He says, handing them out. We dig in almost immediately, stuffing our face with as many noodles as possibly. I pick out the cabbage- I hate cabbage- and swag the pieces for bites of Zack's Tofu sticks, which taste like rubber but I like anyway. Halfway full a moutful of his pork Rian scoffs and sticks a finger in the air.

"I have something to ask you guys." He says. We all gobble down our mouthfuls with the exception of Jack, who seems to be sucking on a neverending section of noodles.

"Yeah Ri?" Zack replies. He shuffles and stretches out one of his legs. Rian swallows.

"Uh, I don't kow how to say this but um... Cassadee and I we-" Jack interrupts with a slap of the end of his noodles entering his mouth. Everyone looks at him and he shrugs.

"Sorry Man" he says. Rian presses his lips together, nods, and continues.

"Cassadee and I are engaged... and I want you guys to be my groomsmen... I guess- my best men" He says. At first I'm not sure what he's said. Then I repeat it in my head. I look at Jack, his eyes are wide and his mouth grinning from ear to ear. Zack is smiling to and gies Rian a high five.

"That's great man!" Jack exclaims and launches at Rian with a hug. Zack laughs and I go red.

"Yeah, congratulations Ri" Zack says as Jack pulls away and digs right back into his food. I give him a knuckle-five and nod my head.

"That's wicked, of course we'll be your best men." I say. He smiles as if he's just won the lottery. I guess he has, his bestfriends and the girl he loves there for the biggest ste of his life is going to be great. The food is now a celebratory feast and so Zack get's up and fetches us a beer each.

"To Rian and Cassadee!" Jack toasts. We all lift our bottles in the air.

"And to my best friends in the whole world." Rian adds.