Chapter 13- Promise

*Alex's POV*

I woke up in the dead of night, to find Jack poking my shoulder. His big brown eyes looked worried and he looked at me.

"Alex... I can't sleep" He whispered like a little boy. I blinked slowly and sat up a little, patting the empty space between my legs and the wall. He crawled onto my bed and huddled his long legs at his chest.

"I'm worried..." He breathed uneasily.

"Why Jack?"

"About Rian... about me..."

"Why would you be worried about Rian?" I asked, confused. He twiddled his thumbs anxiously, and breathed out slowly.

"He's.... going through a really rough time right now... Him and Cass... are not going to good, in fact, they're not going at all...." He mumbled, sounding as though the devil himself were right in front of him.

"Don't be ridiculous Jack, Rian and Cass are in love... and always will be"

"I'm being serious 'Lex!" He whisper-screamed, continuing in a concerned tone.

"We have to help him... I don't want him to be sad..." I could've sworn he was beginning to tear but knew well enough that Jack wouldn't get so upset for nothing.

"Me neither buddy... me neither..." I admitted and he jumped towards me, grabbing my shoulders.

"Thank you 'Lex, I knew you'd help me!" He said a little to loudly and I heard Zack stir inbetween his snoring.

"What about you?"

"What about me?" He cocked his head at me sudden question.

"You said you were worried about yourself too..." I reminded him and he smiled warmly.

"I was worried about the fact that I've never really... loved someone like Rian loves Cassadee, but now I know my place right now is to help people... to love the way others love..." He whispered cautiously. I couldn't help but smile at his innocent, content voice.

"One day, Jack... you'll meet the girl of your dreams"

"Really?"

"Really. And when you do, I promise to help you...promise" I vowed, and he smiled getting up and crawling out of my bunk bed. I slept soundly that night, maybe because I knew Jack was there for me, maybe because we were going to help Rian, maybe because I needed someone to love me... and the only person that came to mind was Tay...