Chapter 17- Maybe

*Rian's POV*

I shouldn’t be doing this. She wasn’t in love with me anymore. She had told me to leave. She was the one yelling, she was the one who instructed.

I was the one with the broken heart.                                                                                            

I could hear her singing on stage, and my heart ached at the beauty of her voice. She was beautiful, talented and amazing and she deserved better than me, but no matter how much my brain was telling me that I should move on and be happy, the rest of my body ached for her love, for her presence.

My pace slowed slightly as I approached her dressing room. My heart became heavy with anxiety and I looked down at the note in my hands. A surge of courage ran down my spine as I pushed the door open, it’s creaking hinges barely audible over Cass’s singing voice.

Rian, her name’s Cassadee, you are no longer her boyfriend and should from now on address her formally.

I shook out the voice in my head and tip toed into the empty room. It smelt like her, like daises and freshly cut grass and strawberries. I looked around in pure curiousity and spotted the large mirror in the corner of the room, above the dressing table that was filled with bottle of pastel coloured liquids and perfume bottles.

I place the note carefully on the dressing table and turned around in relief of my large feat.

An emotion I couldn’t quite decifer, that was between happiness and remorse coursed through me and I hurried for the door.

That’s when I spotted the photo.

It was barely visible, but it was there, pinned between the chair and the floor.

I picked it up with shaking fingers.

It was us, me and Cassadee. We were on her porch, she was next to me and I was kissing her cheek. She looked so happy. She always looked happy.

What made her change her mind?

I left the room with a sense of confusion and scandal.

Maybe I had said something, maybe this was my fault.

She had told me to leave. She was the one yelling, she was the one who instructed.

Maybe she was the one with the broken heart.

And, maybe, I was the one who broke it.