Chapter 40

As you were walking down the hall, you bumped into someone. You stumbled back, but regain your balanced.

"Sorry," you looked up to see Justin, "Oh, hey Y/N."

"Hey Justin," you smiled, "How are you and Selena?"

It's been a couple of days since you've last spoken to Justin.

"We're good," he smiled at you, "I took your advice and apologized, then took her out somewhere special."

"That's good, well, I have to go, see ya later."

---

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel anything," Hailee spoke up, "Because I did feel something. I felt a connection."

"But, I - we can't," Cara shook her head, "We're like best friends, and I can't date you -  I won't date you."

"I'm not say we should date," Hailee responded, "I liked the sex..and I'm saying I'd like to do it again."

"So we're friends, with benefits?" Cara said in a questioning tone. Hailee nodded, a smile on her face.

"Friends with benefits," Hailee confirmed.

---

"Prom is coming up." Dinah mentioned at the lunch table. Normani was at one end of the table, while Ally was at the other. They shared the same group of friends, yet they don't want to be near each other.

"Yes! Prom!" Lauren exclaimed, causing you to groan.

"I don't want to go to prom, Lauren," you murmured.

"Oh, Shawn already asked me to prom. As a friend, of course," Camila said, a frown on her face, "I said yes."

"Dinah and I are going a friends too," Zendaya mentioned. Dinah smiled and nodded at Zendaya. Though, Zendaya wanted to go as more than friends, so did Dinah. But of course, they didn't know that they felt the same way.

"But I want to go. I've been looking forward to it since 9th grade," Lauren frowned at you. You sighed and ran a hand through your hair.

"I don't think I'm going to prom," Normani and Ally said at the same time.

"Oh..you can go with us? Like, as a group of friends?" Dinah offered.

"Lauren, please," you sighed again, "I'm not the prom type of person."

"Uh, I'll think about it," Normani said, Ally nodding in agreement.

"Cara and I are going as friends too," Hailee mentioned.

"Why not?" Lauren asked, growing agitated.

"I just don't like prom, Lauren!" you snapped, standing up, "I'm sorry that I'm not like you. I just don't like prom!" you grabbed your bag, throwing it over your bag and storming out of the cafeteria.

The lunch table was silent, everyone just staring at Lauren.

---

You were at the back of the school, sitting against the wall. You heard footsteps coming your way, so you looked up to see Justin. He smiled down at you, sitting down.

"Hey Y/N," he paused, "What's wrong?"

You shook your head, "Lauren and I got into a fight. Over prom. I don't want to go to prom, but she does."

"Remember what you told me, Y/N?" Justin inquired, "Happy wife, happy life?"

"Yeah, but, I know this may sound selfish," you started, "But what about me? When am I going to be happy?"

Justin chuckled, "Trust me, Y/N. When you make Lauren happy, you'll be happy. When you see the look on her face, you'll be happy. Because her face will light up, and the smile on her face will grow - and it just makes your day. And then you'll see the glint in her eyes, and when she stares at you, your heart will just swell up like it's about to burst."

You didn't respond. You looked up at the sky, thinking about what Justin said.

"You're right, Justin, thanks," you thanked him.

"I'm just returning your advice, Y/N."

---

Lauren sighed as she entered her house. She hasn't seen or heard from you all day, and she's worried. She didn't care about prom anymore, all she cared about was your safety. She walked upstairs and opened her door.

She looked up, gasping at the sight. Photographs of you and Lauren were hung all around her room. You were standing in front of her bed, a rose in your hand. On her bed was a gigantic teddy bear, with a jar of Nutella in front of it.

"Lauren," you started, "I'm sorry for the way I acted at lunch. I was being an asshole - and I'm sorry. I'm willing to go to prom with you. I'm willing to do all the cliché things with you. I'm willing to do all of these things because they make you happy. And when you're happy, I'm happy. So, Lauren Michelle Jauregui, will you go to prom with me?"

Lauren's mouth was opened in shocked, "Yes!"

You smiled and put the rose on the bed, walking towards her. You placed your hands on her waist and passionately kissed her.

Justin was right, seeing the look on her face made you happy.

///

edited - 8/18/17

snapchat : graciejbands

- gracie 💓