One

The rush of adrenaline and the hard pounding of fists to flesh rings loud in my ears.

It is almost like a lullaby to my ears, something that I have grown to enjoy.

A fighter's movement is as graceful as a dancer's - a fighter's dance has always intrigued me. The way the fighters move is so graceful- as if choreographed.

The poor guy before me does not stand a chance. Not with me as his opponent. My opponent is not as in sync as the others. His form is sloppy at best. His legs and arms are locked in a position that leaves his center exposed as he waits for my move.

Grave mistake.

Papa didn't raise any fool!

Patience is key, he forgets this as he pushes his fist to my face. His fist clenches as he makes his decision. He comes hurtling towards me leaving his face unprotected and his stance weakens. The grunt of frustration escapes his lips as I dodge his swing.

There is no waiting to reevaluate his situation as the second fist comes from the left side. He is predictable and I dodge it as my hip swings to the right and my upper body falls away from the punch.

"Dammit Melany," my friend Andrew whines and tries to come at me once again.

This time he lets his frustration get the best of him and he swings at me. Both fists swing from the sides leaving his face and stomach exposed this time.

"You need to protect yourself," I grin as he moves closer. I duck out of his way lunging straight at him leaving him with no time to react.

My shoulder connects with his abdomen and we both fall to the ground. With my body, I pin him to the ground as he growls under me.

"I hate this, you know I can't hit a girl!" He pouts as I pick myself off the floor and give him a helping hand. He obliges this time. My hand wraps around his forearm and gives him one hard pull and he is back on his feet.

"It doesn't bother me," I smirk at him and he gives me his most menacing glare but fails as a smile pulls at the corner of his lips. I wipe my hands clean on my black shirt as silence falls amongst the fighters.

"What the hell?" Andrew rubs his knee and glances around as he claps the dust out of his hands.

It seems as the air thickens with his presence since I can feel him before I can see him, it has always been this way.

"Enough," the alpha roars through the connection that we all share. Everything goes to a standstill within seconds. There is a moment of silence and then with military precision, the pack members turn to face their leader. Standing tall and all signs of fun wiped off all our faces.

We all learn at a young age to show our alpha the uttermost respect. The pack bows their heads and then straighten up before him.

He walks up to us and Andrew slowly glances at me as I slowly shake my head at him. We should not be taking attention away from the alpha.

"How is training going?" The alpha walks between us as he glances at every one of us. I stare straight ahead and avoid making eye contact at all cost.

The alpha is the most respected member of the pack. He is either admired or hated, there is no in-between. Everyone's emotions are comprehensible, but he is always shown respect nonetheless.

Julian Blake is the alpha of the Moonless pack. He is not only well respected amongst our own pack but with other packs as well. He has formed treaties and alliances with more packs than I can imagine. With all this is has made some enemies along the way as well.