Forty Six

Hunter's hold on me tightens as I forget to watch my steps.

It seems as if every pair of eyes are on us...on me.

We walk all the way to the bottom of the stair and I am still having a hard time composing myself.

Still, no word has been uttered by anyone in the ballroom. My eyes find Andrew and he gives me a reassuring smile.

There are people here that I know, that care for me and I for them, I do not have to be so nervous.

"What do we do now?" I whisper to Hunter and he shrugs and starts walking towards our pack members. I am happy that I get to be with the people that I feel comfortable with.

"Let's keep the party going!" A voice booms and then people continue with their chatter.

Once the eyes move on to something else I feel as if I can breathe again. For the moment I appreciate that I am not being watched and take in the ballroom. The golden ceiling is breathtaking as the swirled lines meet in the middle of the room. The long and thick pillars hold the ceiling from collapsing on the guest.

An uneasy sense hits the pit of my stomach, someone is watching me.

My eyes go to a blue-eyed male sitting on the throne. His back parallels to the chair as he sits proper watching over the people below him, or at least he should be. He is wearing a black tux with a golden under vest. His eyes hold mine captive as he looks at me intrigued.

Hunter's hold loosens on me as I take an involuntary step closer to the blue-eyed man.

"Is that him?" I ask Hunter with my eyes on the man.

"What?" He looks in the same direction as me, "must be since he is on the throne." I glance over at him and his eyes show no emotion but they stay locked on him.

My wolf seems to squirm under his scrutiny.

"Let's get a table I'm starving!" Andrew breaks my gaze with the man and Hunter looks down at me warmly.

"Your beta hungry that's a miracle," Hunter snorts and I force a laugh trying to shake this feeling.

Andrew leads us to a table in the back. This is perfect it gives me a better view of my surrounding. Andrew gets a table, the chairs are golden as well as the plates and cups, a waiter tries to pull out my chair but Hunter stops. Some words are exchanged and Hunter helps me in.

We just barely sit down when everyone goes to take a seat. My eyes dart to the man in the throne. He is standing next to an older man. He is dress just like a blue-eyed man.

"I am proud to have been able to serve this pack for many years. Even after so many tragedies and victories this pack has always been strong." The man clears his throat, fighting down some kind of emotion.

The older man glances to the side and there is a small stand with a red pillow upon it. From where we are I cannot see what it is.

"I am proud to be able to witness this moment. The moment that the new heir of the throne gets to step up and take on the crown that only a few men have possessed. What a day to be alive and to pass down the crown to my son. The new alpha of alpha's Derek Storm." The blue-eyed man steps forward. "I know that he will make all of you and me proud to be lead by him."

The older man grabs the object on the stand Derek kneels before his father. The man blocks our view but when Derek stands back up he is wearing a crown.

The room erupts into thunderous applause. I clap late and for a few seconds, there are a few young women glaring at me as I place my hands on my lap.