Sixteen

**Alpha Adrian Hunter POV**

You always have to be careful when you wander into new territory. Especially if the territory has a new owner.

The new Alpha of the Moonless pack has been avoiding me.

I am not one to ask for help more than once but now it is dyer.

I had a meeting with Alpha Julian Blake with his untimely death I have tried to reason with the new alpha.

He must not know what he is doing because a smart alpha would want to have alliances. Especially one that has such a big pack. Other alphas will want to challenge this newbie to gain more power and land. I am not seeking anymore land I need his help. If he gives me his help I will be in his debt.

"Alpha," Ken walks into my office as I stare at the ceiling lost in thought.

"Yes," I breathe in deeply as my chest heaves forwards and I straighten myself in my seat.

"I have news." Ken is like a brother to me when the times are calm but at the moment we are in bad times and he composes himself accordingly. He might be a good friend of mine but I treat him equally when it comes to business.

"What kind of news?" He scratches the back of his head as he contemplates how to break the news.

"Alpha of the Moonless pack knows you are going to be visiting today," he gulps, "but there is no word if the alpha will be seeing you. His beta is the one communicating back to us."

Making his new beta do the dirty work, I want to punch him. He needs to own up to his responsibility.

"He can't avoid me that easily. I will be making my visit today with or without an answer." Ken nods and then the news that is truly bothering him is next.

"We ran into three new rogues scent at the border of our land."

More of them?

"The rogues' numbers are growing," I raise an eyebrow and Ken shrugs.

"It appears so," in the dull light I can see the scratch marks that are healing across his chest.

"Do I want to know how those happened?" My chin gesture to his chest and he glances down.

With a weak smile he bites his cheek, "It is not the usual scratch marks. Chris and Veronica got into it when we were on our rounds. She tried clawing him but I miscalculated my distance and she got me square in the chest." Veronica is Chris' mate, she is working on her jealousy. These two fighting is nothing new.

"We need to keep them separated if this continues. We need to fight our enemies not each other. We need to put up a united front."

Ken nods, "I'll let them know," and with that walks out of my office.

It is time to meet this new Alpha whether he wants to or not.

A deer bolts out of the trees at the sound of my paws hitting the ground.

Any other day my wolf would consider running after the deer for some action but he knows we are here strictly on business. The mountain air is fresh and the smell of pine in the air makes my wolf feel free.

The sun is setting over the mountains giving the sky a beautiful purple hue. My wolf pushes himself to run faster, he is happy that I decided to run to the nearest pack's territory instead of driving. He has been itching for a good run.

I allow him to surface as he takes over. My mind wanders to a different topic as he controls our movements.

This trip is just me, all alone, my beta wanted to join me but I need someone to stay behind to keep order within the pack.