Sixty Three

The pounding resonates as the snapping echoes in my ears.

There is a fight around me and I hate that it is always me getting hurt and being weak. I want to be an actual alpha the one that does not pass out at every fight. I will fight.

My wolf could not agree with me more I can feel her power swell inside of me and I know that I am capable of taking care of myself. My eyes shoot open and I see Hunter's body over me crouching down close to my body. 

His fur brushes my face as his eyes dart in every direction making sure I am safe.

I look for Derek and he is holding a smoking gun. His eyes are wide as if he is just realizing what he just did.

Mathew stands a few feet away from his nephew. He is not worried about no gun, he wants to go after Ivan.

"Don't you dare touch her," Derek hisses and Ivan is cradling his arm.

"You would betray your own father?" Ivan snaps. Derek's breathing is coming in rapidly and he shakes his head.

"You made me do this. You made me become the person that I am...less shadow of your former self." Derek loses it and his hand starts shaking.

"Let me get up," I whisper to Hunter but he does not listen he is not budging. "Hunter let me out." I growl and he seems to be fighting with himself until he takes a few steps away from me.

The cold stone floor presses against my hands as I get to my feet and my hand goes to my neck and it stings where Ivan’s fingers once were.

“Melany, stay away from him.” Derek says and he is still holding onto the gun as if he cannot do damage without it.

His wolf will not allow him to hurt his own father.

Derek’s wolf is just like Derek, son to the man before us, so he could not bring himself to attack the man that brought him to life. That is the reason that the bullet grazed Ivan’s arm and it did not go straight into his heart. Derek wants his father to back off but he cannot kill him.

“I am not going to let you kill your son just to gain power. He is your son for the love of god.” I am practically yelling at Ivan as his eyebrows scrunch up and he looks at me as if I have lost it.

“I wasn’t going to kill my son,” he hisses.

“Then who were you going…”

It appears that Mathew had enough of the talking because he lunges after his brother but Ivan, for an older man, moves quickly and he makes it to the door running out of there as fast as his legs can carry him.

Mathew looks over at me apologetically and runs after his brother.

I stare at the door as if Ivan would return and answer my question. A cold hand caresses my neck and I turn to look at Hunter. His fingers gently run where I am hurt.

“Does it hurt?”

A bit. I shake my head.

I glance over at a broken Derek. His face is white as his eyes go to the blood on the floor, his father's blood. He has lost his crown, father, and pack all in the matter of minutes.

“How are you?” He is still holding the gun in his hands his fingers seem to regain their movement and he drops his gun to the ground.

“How do you think I am doing?” He snaps and he makes his way to the chair and drops into it. “He wanted to kill the next in line which is me…but he said that it wasn’t me. Who the hell is next in line?” His looks as confused as I feel.