Seventeen

There is an uneasy feeling in my stomach. Andrew takes over in welcoming Alpha Hunter into our home.

As I walk straight into my room I can feel his eyes on me as I close the door. My wolf is uneasy with me. I have been in the alpha's circle my whole life and I have never heard of him.

We've never seen him before. She pulls his face front and center of our mind as we try to remember him.

I know. His golden eyes burn into mine as I try hard to place them but I know that we have never crossed paths.

It seems weird since my father would hold meetings at the pack house all the time with other alpha's close by and not once did I see Alpha Hunter, not even as a beta.

My wolf searches our mind. Face after face fills my mind, all the faces that came through the pack house that we have seen walk in and out. Some are very familiar while others I remember vaguely, Hunter is not among any of them.

Maybe he is new to the position.

Maybe.

Maybe he challenged the alpha and won!

Then he must be a strong alpha. The news would have traveled through the packs about such victory.

I climb into bed curling up, pulling my blanket over my shoulder, I face my window.

The moon is high and bright the stars are like little specks of light in the vast dark blanket known as the sky. Staring at the moon always seems to calm me. It never fails to arrive just like the sun it is something that I can count on.

Are we going to have a good night rest?

I sure hope so. It has been a while.

Forcing my eyes shut I will sleep to come to me. It is not so hard since I have not slept right for a couple of nights now. The darkness is a welcoming vision for both my wolf and me.

The warmth of his body against me makes me feel safe and peaceful.

"Melany," his raspy voice brings a smile to my face.

"Hmm..." he stiffens against me.

"Why do you hold on?"

The peace within me vanishes and my eyebrows furrow together, "Hold on?"

"You know you're no good for your pack. You can't even keep your mate by your side. What makes you think your pack wants to stand by you?" His harsh words are like a slap across my face leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. "You couldn't even help your father. This pack would be better off without you!" He hisses into my ear his breath sends a shiver through me.

How can he say that?

I turn to look at him and he is not by my side anymore but instead, he is standing a couple of feet away by my window.

"Marcus," it comes out a hurt whisper. There is a flash of gold in his eyes, his wolf wants to surface.

"A she-wolf can't take a males place in the wolf world."

I gasp as his body starts to trembles his wolf is ready to burst through. My wolf is pulling at my core wanting me to allow her to surface as well. He is challenging me for my place in the pack. He broke me and now he wants the little I have left.

"Marcus, stop," he drops to the ground and convulses.

No!

Move Melany!