Fifty Three

We eat our breakfast in silence as Hunter offers to get our beverages. I poke at my biscuits and sigh I am no longer hungry.

Derek is messing everything up for me and I am letting him.

"What's the matter Alpha Blake?" I look at Calvin who is staring at me with worry when suddenly his eyes harden.

"I would really rather you call me Melany, we're friends." His eyes soften on me as he bites the side of his cheek mulling over that suggestion.

"I'll try," he smiles.

"I am fine with fighting any one here but if I have to go and fight Hunter I don't think I'll be able to it."

When Calvin said that the alphas fight one another that was the first thought that ran through my mind. What if I have to fight Hunter?

"You can always forfeit. The last fight is the one you have to worry about."

Forfeit?

Forfeit is not in our vocabulary.

"Why is that?" What can possibly happen in the last battle?

"It's against Alpha Storm," my fork scrapes the plate making this irritating sound I drop my fork.

I know everyone is staring and I am becoming use to it. I look over at Derek and he is talking to Zeke but his eyes flicker to me.

"Wouldn't mind going up against him," I hiss.

"You're one of very few. You see no one has ever won a fight against The Alpha." Calvin states and I notice that he does not look over at Derek.

"What happens if someone beats him?" Hunter asks his interest is peaked. He leans closer to me trying to hear Calvin.

"Hmm you shame him in front of his entire pack," Calvin thinks it over.

That is obvious but you do not win something? You just beat the big boss.

"That's enough for me." Hunter shrugs smugly. That is enough for me as well.

The ringing of bells telling us it is time to leave the hall. Calvin directs us to the back of the castle and we step outside.

Everyone is standing staring out towards a rectangular area where the dirt is perfectly flattened and there is bleachers surrounding the area. Everyone walks over to take a seat and Calvin leads the way.

"You said that this is just for the alphas, right?" Andrew asks looking around. There are some very muscular males walking around.

"Yes, just the alphas." We take a seat at the top of the bleachers Derek walks to the middle of the arena.

"Okay today we will see our fellow alphas fighting skills. I will allow anyone who doesn't want participate to forfeit now." A few hands go up and Derek nods.

"Mel, maybe you should..." Hunter does not want me to be involved.

"I don't want to show anymore weakness," he nods his understanding.

"Okay, let's get this started." Zeke walks out with a bowl full of folded papers. Derek pulls out two papers.

"Jameson and Collin," two males get up and walk down to the arena. I stare at them they do not show any sign of fear. They shake hands and Derek starts the count down. "Three...two...one...Go!"

The men fight brutally. My heart jumps to my throat. Their punches echo in my ears as the men go at it both of them getting good shots. Jameson starts pounding away at Collin's face but he blocks the hits but when he peaks over his hands Jameson fist connect with his face. Collin is knocked out before his body hits the floor.

"Oh my god," I swallow.

"The winner is Alpha Jameson." Derek says and Jameson gives his beta a huge bloody smile.

"I think I'm going to be sick," my stomach turns as I see their violence.

Can I really go up against these males?

You can and you will. You're the only female alpha you have to.

I repress my gagging reflex and take deep breaths. "Now, one fight down four to go." Derek grabs two more names, "Martin and Hunter."

My hand involuntarily grabs his hand. I look at him and I can feel my chest tighten.

"Please if it is too much for you quit." He smiles at me and I know that he is not going to quit he is a fighter.

"Don't worry I can take care of myself. Plus, I need to work out this stress I'm feeling I don't want to see you fight." He kisses me gently on the lips and then heads down where his opponent waits for him.

Be careful.

The man and Hunter shake hands and Derek counts down again. When he says go the man does not hesitate when he punches Hunter right on the jawline.

"Ouch!" Andrew hisses.

Hunter does not look affected by the blow. The man is concentrated on Hunter's fist that he does not see his leg fling up and kick him right in the shoulder.

"Come on Hunter!" I scream as my wolf pounds at my mind wanting to help Hunter.

The man keeps his arms close around his face using them as a shield. Hunter grabs his shoulders and helps himself keep balance as his knee jerks up and connects with his abdomen.

The man's arms drop and wrap around his torso that is when Hunter takes his chance and with a swift movement his foot connects with the side of the man's face. The man motions that he is done.

Derek does not seem pleased, "The winner is Alpha Hunter."

I run down the steps and Hunter grabs me as I fling my body to him. My body collides with his as his arms wrap around me.

"I told you I would be fine." His nose skims my neck as my arms wrap around his neck and my hand runs through his hair. He walks me back to our seats.

The third round goes to Jameson and Henderville. Jameson's does not last long he did not have a lot of time to heal before this fight. He is knocked out quick with one hit to the temple.

The fourth round is between West and Vince. They both come down side by side they must be friends.

The round begins and it is quickly dominated by Vince. The man's fists are like bullets. He hits fast and hard. His friend did not stand a chance. West is on the ground his face is bruise as I bet the rest of his body is. Both his eyes are swollen it is clear who won this round.

Vince helps his friend up and they sit at bottom bleacher as a woman goes running to West. She looks over him and she is clearly his mate and a healer.

"Now for the last round..."

The bleachers are silence as we know what that means. The alpha is about to fight. He pulls out one paper.

"My opponent will be..." He unfolds the paper and his eyes widen, "Blake."

I knew it.

"No way," Hunter growls.

"I can face him." Hunter stands and I stand with him my hands on his shoulder trying to calm him down.

"Melany, he's quick so let your reflexes do the work and when you hit," he breathes, "hit with all you have make every punch count." Calvin says through tight lips so that no one knows what he is saying.

I nod at him and look at Hunter as he desperately looks at me.

"I know it's useless to say but please quit when you can't take any more."

"I'm not a quitter." I say and look out to the arena Derek is looking at me. It seems as if he is waiting for something.

If he thinks you're forfeiting he has another thing coming.

*~*~*

Hope you enjoyed it.

Happy Reading my MoonGazers