Forty

The odds have never been in my favor and at the moment that does not seem to change.

My father was killed by a rogue and growing up I thought he was invincible. Now it is me, all alone, against them.

"Melany, run!" Andrew yells at me as the rogue runs up the hill. His bloodthirsty eyes seeping into my own.

Rogues killed my father, killed someone that meant the world to me. The red eyes burn into my irises as the animal moves in slow motion.

My body momentarily freezes as my eyes are glued to the beasts. Fear tightens its grip on my soul for a moment but my wolf does not allow fear to stop her.

The wolf snaps at my face his teeth are so close that I can practically count them.

Move out of the way!

Without hesitation my wolf pulls me out of the way, my body moves to its own accord. My knee jerks up and connects to the rogue's ribs. The pressure shoots down my knee and sending both of us down.

It lands hard on its paws. He grabs hold of his side and glares at me. The padding sound next to me makes me glance back quickly.

His eyes blazed in anger but not towards me, he is staring at the wolf on the floor. His chocolate brown wolf walks back and forth, pacing before me, I have never seen this wolf before but from his scent, I know it is Trent.

"Brad, get back here." A voice explodes through the trees and the wolf slinks away.

The leaves rustle as three men emerge from the trees and my heart rate plummets.

"You," the world falters at my lips as I try to wrap my mind around what I am looking at. "I would never think you would do this to me. Haven't you hurt me enough?"

My wolf howls, the pain in my gums is as if someone has taken a razor blade and skimmed between my teeth. She is not taking any chances she knows that I might not be strong enough for this.

My wolf wants to surface as I push her down, this is my fight. My battle. I am not going to blame the outcome on anyone other than myself.

He steps out of the dense forest and walks through the rogue pack as if they were family. His arm skims the fur of those wild animals as he eyes stay lock on me.

"Melany, you left me no choice," his hazel eyes burn into mine.

"You made your own choice the second you left me. What do you want? A mate that is pathetic enough to wait for you while you go around and see other girls. Marcus, you lost your chance with me," I grind my teeth, "can't you just let me be happy with the people that I love."

Anger flashes through his eyes as he clenches his jaw.

"Is that," his eyes dart to Hunter, "pathetic excuse of an alpha one of them?"

"Why does it matter to you?" I hiss at him.

"Because Melany you are doing something that no one has ever done before you're going to bring two packs together." He grins at me, "my pack and yours."

"Your pack?" Like hell I am.

He nods, "You see I am now the alpha of this pack and they listen to my every command."

He is the alpha of the rogues? And he wants to take over your pack. This is like your nightmares.

Maybe but this time it is my reality and I am not going down without a fight. I know what side I belong and it is not with him.

"Over my dead body!" I seethe at him and I see something click in his head.

I am going to be dead before he gets close to my pack.