Scared (septiplier)

I wrap my arm around him as we stand outside the school. "Excited?" I ask. He nods anxiously as his dad's car pulls into the parking lot. "Ok. Call me as soon as you get it ok?" I say. He nods again and kisses my cheek before jumping into his dad's car. "Good luck Jack!" I yell as they back away. I smile and hop into my own car. Instead of driving home, I drive to the store to pick up flowers and balloons. I picked out some bright green ones and grin as I check out.

"Someone's birthday?" The clerk asks.

"My boyfriend." I say.

"Well that's very sweet of you." She nods towards the flowers and motions with her finger to come closer. I lean in and she hands me a card. "That card will get you 50% off a cake of your choice. We usually only give those to employees but I'll make an exception."

I thank her profusely and run back to the bakery to pick up the cake. It was chocolate and had happy 16th birthday!! Written on it. I took all the things and head back to my car. I jump in just as my phone goes off.

"Hey Birthday boy!" I shout excitedly.

"Hey!" He says.

"So? You get it?"

"What? Of course I got it! You've been studying with me for months."

I grin. "I'm so proud of you! I'll be right over!"

"Ok see ya soon."

I frown slightly at his tone. He didn't seem very enthusiastic for someone who just got their drivers license. I shook it off and started driving towards his house. I pulled up and practically ran to the front step. I knocked and his mother opened the door. "Mark! Well aren't you sweet!" She says and points to the gifts. "He's upstairs." She said a bit less happily.

"Is everything alright?" I ask.

"Of course dear. He's just a bit shaken. It's a big step towards adulthood." I nod and walk up the stairs and to his room. Usually he would have music blaring by now but the room was dead silent. I knocked and opened it slowly.

"Congrats!" I yell as I walk in. He had been laying on his bed and now got up to greet me.

"Thanks darlin." He says and kisses me briefly. I put the gifts on the dresser.

"So let me see!" I say. He smiles and pulls out his new ID. "Look at that! My little baby's all grown up!" I coo. His smile instantly droops as I say it and my worry starts to overcome my excitement. "Baby what's wrong?" I ask.

"What? Oh it's nothing." He waves me off and I grab his hand.

"Sean. What's going on?"

He sighs. "It's j-just..." Tears leak from his eyes and I immediately pull him to my chest. I run my hand through his hair as his shoulders start to shake. My own eyes water as he sobs silently. "I'm s-o sc-scared!" He cries.

"Scared?" I ask and sit him on the bed. "Why are you scared?"

"I'm 16. That's two years away from being an adult. That means I'm two years away from being on my own and having to pay for myself and pay taxes and buy my own car and go to college and..." I kiss his head softly as he begins to sob again. "I'm not ready to grow up. I don't want all the responsibility."

I guess I hadn't thought about it much. I guess he's right. I have a year and a half before I'm not a kid anymore. Till I'm on my own. But I won't be on my own. I have Jack. "You won't be alone." I whisper. " I'll be here." He just shakes his head and my eyes snap to his. "W-what does that mean?" I ask.

"Do you know how many high school relationships last Mark? I do. It's not many."

"So? That doesn't matter." I rush.

"Mark-..." He starts but I cut him off.

"I-is this your way of breaking up with me?" I ask as I start to cry harder. "By throwing statistics at me? There's exceptions to every rule Jack!"

"Who's to say that we are that exception Mark?"

"I do! I love you Jack! I don't care that we will be adults soon. I don't care that the odds are against us. I don't care that I'll have to go to college without you. I don't care. We will work if we want to work and I want to Jack!" I rambled. My eyes widened as I relived I had just admitted I loved him but I didn't dare take it back.

"You do now! But what about in five, ten, twenty years! You might not feel the same then! Maybe you'll feel like I'm just holding you back! You don't know Mark!"

"No I won't!" I scream.

"You don't know that!" He yells back.

"Yes I do!"

"How! Can you see the future or something?! You really believe we will just grow up and live happily ever after when the evidence strongly suggests-..."

"I don't care about your freaking evidence!"

He holds up his hand and I know his next words. Something like 'maybe you should go' or 'it's over' but I don't let him get that far.

"Fine! You wanna just leave me because you're scared?! Fine! But let's get one thing straight, I'm scared too! Ok? I'm freaking terrified! And I always thought that I would be fine because you would be there! Because I would grow up with someone who cared about me!" I can't believe he would do this to me. That he would let some fear or statistics get between us. "I said I love you and I mean it!" I scream and turn to leave. I open the door. Don't turn around. Don't turn around. Don't turn around. My mind chanted. I turned. He had his face in his hands and was sobbing quietly.

"I-I hope you f-find someone who m-makes you happy Markimoo." He says between sobs. It could have been so easy. I could have just walked out of there and never spoken to him again.

"You make me happy jackaboy." I say and walk back to him. "Can't you see that? I don't care what any chart or census says. I am in love with you." I get on my knees in front of him and grab his hand. "I know it's scary but you have to try. I'm not saying you have to be in love with me if you aren't ready. I'm just saying that if this is something you want, you should work for it." He bits his lip and I lift his chin to face me. "Do you want this?"

"I-I don't want it." He says and my head drops. It was worth a try I suppose. He lifts my chin and smiles softly around his tears. "I need it. I don't like you Mark, I love you. You're right. We can do this. I believe you." I hug him and feel his body rest into mine. "I'm sorry." He whispers.

"Don't be. I love you. Nothing is gonna change that."

A/N
So this started as a sad story about how freaking terrified I am of being sixteen, (whoopty-freaking-doo) but I thought maybe I should give you guys something a bit happier. Think of it as my birthday gift to you all. Also I know this is out on a Thursday. I wanted to put it out on my birthday because reasons. I might still update tomorrow as well. We'll see.