☾Chapter 1

March 15th, 1992.

I run across the street, desperately trying to get back home as quickly as I can. I completely forgot that I was supposed to be home from my friend Jasie's house at 5:00pm, and it's a half hour after that. I'm terrified of what Kyle would do to me if I'm late - aka, my dad. He doesn't want me to call him "Daddy" or at least "Dad" though, no matter how badly I wish I could.

  I'm running and I'm running and I'm running as fast as I can, until I halt to a stop once I'm at the front door. I pant hard, feeling my heartbeat in my throat and the sweat on my forehead. I waste no time as I twist the key into the keyhole and open the door – I sure hope that Kyle doesn't see me walking in. I tiptoe quietly inside the house, looking around to make sure Kyle is nowhere to be seen. I breathe a sigh of relief when I don't see him. Then suddenly, I hear heavy footsteps behind me. I turn around instantly, and there stands Kyle, looking angry as ever.

  "You're late," he snaps.

  I gulp. "Y-yeah, but I-I'm sorry, I-I-I..."

  "I? You what?"

  "I'm sorry-" I was cut off by Kyle grabbing my arm and pushing me up against the wall.

  "Where the hell were you? You little...brat," his voice booms.

  "J-J-Jasie's house..."

  He slaps my face and sighs. "Do you always have to make me do this to you?"

  I wince in pain and rub my cheek. He backs away from the wall and I stay where I am. Rule #34, don't move unless Kyle tells you to.

  He smiles a sickly smile. "Get upstairs, now."

  I walk quickly upstairs to my bedroom and shut the door behind me. I lay on my creaky bed and look around my old, small room. The walls are an ugly shade of light green, my closet only consists of one jacket, two pairs of shoes, (slippers and converse) a few tops, pants, and pajamas, and a toy bear. My only prize possession is my Michael Jackson poster hung over my bed, which my mom bought me before she died when I was nine – I'm twelve now. Kyle says she died from drug overdose, but I always had a feeling he was lying to me. It's something about the way he says it, it just doesn't seem right. I close my eyes and forget about everything for a while until I feel myself beginning to fall asleep.