☾Chapter 15

"Allison, did you hear me? Lisa and I are getting married," Daddy says once again. I zoned out for a while, feeling surprised at their sudden announcement.

  "Ally?" says Lisa.

  I snap back into reality and all I manage to say is, "Oh, um..."

  "I know it's a bit sudden, especially since you haven't known Lisa for that long, but I think it's something to be happy about. You'll have a mother now," says Daddy.

  A mother now? Excuse me? Come again? Pull the brakes right there, please. I don't need another mother.

  "Aren't you happy for us?" Daddy whispers to me.

  "Yeah," I say. "Yeah, I am. When did you um...I mean-"

  "Oh, he proposed when you were at school last Tuesday. We were waiting for the right time to tell you..." says Lisa.

  "And, the other good news is, you're going to meet your aunts and uncles and grandparents next week, that's when we're announcing it to the family as well," says Daddy. "Isn't that exciting?"

  I bite my lip. "Mm-hm. Well, I have suspension homework to do, I um...I'll see you," I say and bolt back upstairs.

  I don't even know what to think. Do I want Lisa as my mother? Not really. I don't even know who I am anymore. I miss my own mother, my real father is in jail, (even though I don't want him back anyway) and the only chance I got with my new daddy has been cut short because now someone else is going to come in and ruin it all. Nobody's life can change as fast as mine did.