☾Chapter 19

I awaken to the doorbell ringing. I open my eyes and rub them, slowly climbing out of bed and walking downstairs. I open the front door and there stands Lisa, smiling at me.

  What a lovely surprise.

  "Hi sweetie, is your daddy home?" she asks.

  I squint up at her and rub my eyes, not saying a word.

  "Ah I get it, I apologise if I woke you up. And actually, I was kind of hoping you'd help me prepare for the wedding. We don't have a lot of time as you probably already know," she chuckles, rubbing the back of her neck.

  I still stare at her.

  "A-Anyway," she clears her throat, "umm, how about that plan?"

  "What will we do...exactly?" I ask.

  "Well, we'll start the guest list, hire a planner, book a place, choose a cake, you can help me pick out a dress, and other things!" she says excitedly.

  "Alright, I'm in," I say tiredly.

  "Excellent!"

  I then hear Daddy's footsteps coming from behind me. "Lisa?" he says.

  "Baby," she greets, letting herself in and flinging her arms around his neck. "I missed you."

  He wraps his arms around her waist and says, "I missed you too."

  "It's been since last night," I mumble to myself.

  "Well that's a long time for me," says Lisa.

  "Me too," says Daddy, gazing into her eyes.

  They begin kissing like they haven't seen each other in years, when Lisa suddenly pulls away and says, "Eww baby, you have morning breath."

  He giggles. "I'll go brush my teeth, stay here."

  And I'm left alone with Lisa again.

  I sit on the couch and cross my right leg over my left one, looking down at my short, brittle nails, trying to avoid conversation, which should be easy this time since Lisa doesn't even try saying anything.

  A few minutes later, Daddy walks downstairs, dressed in normal clothing and says, "Allison, go upstairs and get ready, by the time you come down your breakfast will be served. Sound good?"

  "Sure," I say and make my way to my room.

    ☾

"I'm making Barry Gibb my best man, I just have to," says Daddy as I sit in the middle of him and Lisa discussing their wedding invitations.

  "Am I invited?" I joke.

  Daddy and Lisa laugh. "Princess you're the first on the list!" he says, holding the list up to me.

  Instead of  "Allison," it has "Princess" with a little heart next to it. I smile.

  "Wouldn't want you to miss it," says Lisa. "In fact, how would you like to be the flower girl?"

  Daddy gasps. "That's a great idea! Allison, you up for it?"

  Flower girl? Uh, no. Lisa's flower girl? Absolutely not.

  "Yeah, okay," I say, trying to be enthusiastic about it.

  "Yay! Ally, have you ever been a flower girl before?" Lisa asks.

  "No."

  "I was one once, and it's tons of fun, I promise!" she says.

  "Well, okay..."

  "Do we have everyone?" Daddy asks, examining the list up and down.

  "Pretty much," says Lisa.

  "So, what do we do now?" I ask.

  "Yeah Michael, what's next on the list?" asks Lisa.

  "I booked a wedding manager to help with the venue, the location, theme, and all of that other stuff. And actually, she should be here in a couple of hours," says Daddy.

  "Mm, well you sure did a lot of preparing, didn't you?" says Lisa.

  "Baby, anything to make this perfect for you – for us."

  I roll my eyes. I hope God will spare me and make this day go quickly.

'