☾Chapter 17

I walk inside the house with Daddy, Lisa, and Janet, and there are a lot of other people in here as well. I must say it's really big house, but of course still not as big as Neverland.

  "Your mother isn't here?" Daddy whispers to Lisa.

  Lisa rolls her eyes. "No. I don't know anymore with her, she's just-"

  "Michael," an older woman greets Daddy, walking up to him as they exchange hugs and kisses.

  "Hi Mother, it's good to see you," he says.

  "You too darling. And who is this?" his mother bends down to me and smiles.

  "You didn't tell her?" Janet mutters to him.

  "I didn't tell anybody besides you," I hear him mutter back. He clears his throat. "Mother, this is Allison. She's my daughter."

  "Daughter? Since when did you-"

  "He adopted me," I cut in. "Didn't anybody see the news?" I shrug.

  "Oh no, I don't watch news. There's always some garbage article about Michael that upsets me dearly," his mother says. "But it's nice to meet you Allison. Please, call me grandma Kate."

  "Uh, okay," I say.

  "Yo Mike!" someone calls from the other side of the room, walking closer in our direction. "What's happenin' brother? It's good to see you again."

  "You too, Tito," says Daddy. "Allison, you have quite a lot of people to meet. Here, I'll introduce you them-"

  "What's up Lisa? Looking beautiful as always," Tito compliments.

  Lisa chuckles and hides her face for a split second. "Why thank you, you don't look too bad yourself," she says.

  Daddy grits his teeth and gently drags Lisa away from his brother.

  He clears his throat to get everybody's attention. "Everyone, I'd like to get your attention for just a moment please!" he says. Everybody stops and now all eyes are on me. "As you may or may not know, this is my daughter Allison. Allison, you see those men over there? Those are my brothers, Tito, Jackie, Jermaine, Randy and Marlon."

  "Hi Allison!" they say and wave to me. I wave back, feeling shy.

  "And, my sisters – you've already met Janet – so that's Rebbie, and LaToya," he says, pointing to two other women.

  "Aw Michael she's so adorable!" LaToya squeals and tries picking me up but failing. "Ouch, and oh so heavy," she says, placing my back down.

  "Yeah, she is adorable," Rebbie agrees.

  "Where's Joseph?" Daddy whispers to Tito.

  "I don't know, he was just here."

  "Well, what a lovely day to come together with the family," a voice booms from down the hall. The man walks closer and smiles. "Surprise, everybody."

  "Joseph, it's nice to see you," Daddy says to break the silence as he and his father exchange a quick hug, as with Lisa as well.

  "You too Michael, and Lisa," he answers. His eyes wonder around and his gaze meets mine. "And who is this young lady?"

  "Joseph, this is my daughter Allison," Daddy introduces me.

  "Daughter? You never told me you had a daughter. When was Lisa ever pregnant? I don't remember!"

  "No, no, Joseph, I adopted her about two months ago."

  "And you never told me?"

  "I-" he takes a deep breath in, "that's what today is for. And, for something else as well..." Daddy takes Lisa's hand and stands at the front of the room.