☾Chapter 23

I've never seen Daddy smile this hard before. He picks Lisa up and twirls her around, planting millions of little kisses all over her face.

  "Ah! Michael!" she says, laughing excitedly.

  "Oh Lisa, this is the happiest day of my life!" Daddy screams with excitement.

  After a while, he places her back down on the floor and lifts her chin up, planting even more kisses on her lips. As he pulls away, he wipes underneath his eyes where little drops of tears have fallen and says, "I can't believe it, I'm going to have my own child! Me! Oh God, I'm the happiest I've ever been right now!"

  I frown. The happiest he's ever been? He got me, wasn't that the happiest he's ever been?

  "I know, I know. Ah I couldn't be more excited!" Lisa beams.

  "Me too. My God, this is really happening..." He takes both of her small hands into one of his.

  I mean yeah, whatever, surely it's exciting to be having your own kid, but has he forgotten about me? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm adopted. What I'd give to actually be related to him...I sigh and continue walking to my room.

  I shut the door behind me and a single tear falls out of my eye – my bruised eye. I look in the mirror and examine it's swelling. A lot has gone down since last week, but now I feel like I'm going through another kind of bruise...an emotional one.

"Allison, could you come down here please?" I hear Daddy call from downstairs.

  "C-Coming!" I call back down, wiping my tear off my cheek. I walk out of my room and down the stairs, spotting Lisa and Michael sitting at the dinner table, with a place on the table left for me.

  "Sweetie are you OK?" Daddy asks me. "You look tired."

  "Yeah, kinda," I respond, sitting down in my seat.

  "Oh, well then I guess we should tell you something else too," he says. "Lisa, you wanna...?"

  "No you said you were gonna say it," she says.

  "Oh come on, I told her that we were engaged last time, cut me some slack, will ya?"

  I zone out, not actively listening anymore to them debating about who's going to tell me that Lisa is pregnant.

  Lisa giggles. "No, you," she says, playfully shoving Daddy on the arm.

  "You," he insists, pinching her thigh.

  I grit my teeth in frustration. Even though I already know what they're going to tell me, I would like them to cut to the chase. They're like two little kids.

  "Okay, okay," Daddy surrenders. "Allison, guess what?"

  My heart skips several beats and I bend over the table.

  "What?" I ask.

  "You get to pick out the flavour of the cake!" Lisa blurts.

  I slump back in my seat and try to cover my confusion. "O-Oh. Um, cool?"

  "We'll be going tomorrow to sort out some more details for the wedding, but we're trusting you to pick out a good one," says Daddy.

  "So you're just like...letting me?" I ask.

  "Well sure, but we don't have the time, so make sure to pick something nice."

  "Chocolate," Lisa whispers to me and winks.

  "Don't listen to her," Daddy giggles, "just choose something."

  I shake my head in confusion. Okay, now I really know that Daddy and Lisa do nothing like anyone else. Is this even how it's supposed to go? How can they just trust me with something like that?

  "Allison are you alright? What's wrong? You don't look too excited about it," says Daddy.

  "No, no I'm fine. And I am excited, honest," I lie, nodding my head and trying to smile.

  Daddy stares at me for a second. "If you say so..."

  I look over at Lisa and she gives me a reassuring smile.

  "Oh, dinner must be ready now," says Daddy, walking into the kitchen and taking something out of the oven.

  I wonder why they haven't told me that Lisa is pregnant yet. They're probably saving it for something special, but what? When? Will they announce it at the wedding ceremony? So, they tell me about the cake selection instead? I don't get it. Whatever, I already know anyway, I guess. I'm also hoping nobody could pick up on how un-bothered i am with all of this. Oh well.

'

I felt generous today, so i updated another chapter in this book, PLUS my other book called "Rated X." Please check it out if you'd like, although it's for mature audiences. *wink*.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! More to come :)