☾Chapter 29

The night has ended, everyone has gone home, and what a celebration that has been. May 16th 1992 – ill never forget it. I'm back at home now with Daddy and Lisa. And I guess it's official, Lisa will be moving in with us. In a way I am happy, because now I'll live in an actual family. Being with just Daddy would've been amazing as well, and I'll always have him, but now he gets to be happy with somebody, and I also have a little sibling to look forward to meeting.

  I pull my dress over my head and take my heels off. I wash the makeup off my face and head in the shower to wash the sweat off from the day.

  Once I'm done in the shower, I pull pyjama shorts on and a t-shirt over my head. I brush my teeth and slip comfortable shoes on, then jump into bed. I pull the covers up over my head and toss and turn in the dark. I sigh, it's just not the same without Daddy tucking me in. It's 10pm, and I can't sleep.

  I climb out of bed after about half an hour of trying to fall asleep. I walk into Daddy's room, softly opening the door halfway. He and Lisa haven't changed out of their wedding clothing, as they're both just laying on the bed, sleeping next to each other, Daddy spooning her.

  I don't want to disturb, but I want my daddy. I guess I'll be sleeping on the floor tonight. I sit on a space on the floor next to the bed, making myself comfortable and soon, I'm out like a light.

Morning came quicker than I expected. I awaken to being shaken lightly. "Allison? Are you awake?" Daddy asks.

  I rub my eyes and sit up from the floor. My neck aches as I get up; must be from sleeping on my elbow instead of a pillow.

  "Allison, why did you sleep on the floor sweetheart?" Daddy asks.

  I yawn. "Well I couldn't sleep, but I didn't want to wake you and Lisa up, so I decided to just sleep here."

  "Oh Ally, please don't ever let yourself sleep on the floor again. Even if I'm asleep, you can always wake me up and tell me to tuck you in, or sleep with me instead."

  "Really?"

  "Really." He smiles. "Now come on, who's late for school?"

  I glance over at the time on the clock and it's 8pm. "Ugh, school," I mumble, getting up to get ready as quickly as I can.

  Within twenty-five minutes, I go to the bathroom, get dressed, have breakfast and get my books ready. Also, Lisa did my braids this time. I sure have a lot of catching up to do after two weeks of suspension.

  "Ready!" I yell.

  "Bye baby," says Daddy, giving me a big hug and a kiss before I walk outside to the limo.

  "We'll miss you," says Lisa.

  "I'll miss you guys too. But I have to go, see ya!" I walk outside and I hear Lisa and Daddy call at the same time, "We love you!"

I walk up the hallway in school, avoiding everyone's stares and glares. I never thought I'd be in this position before, seeing as I'm usually a good student – usually. But today's Cindy's first day back as well, and although I haven't seen her, thank God, I hear Amanda call my name from up ahead.

  "Mandy!" I call as we exchange hugs. She doesn't get reminded of Cindy whenever I call her that anymore, as it's now become my nickname for her.

  "What'd I miss out on?" I ask.

  "Not much, actually. I'll give you all the notes once we go back to class," she says. "You sure had quite the holiday, I saw your parents' wedding photos on the news. There was even a short video clip of their wedding ceremony and I saw you in the background."

  "Really? Oh God, now I'm feeling embarrassed," I say, covering my face from everyone in the hallway.

  "Relax, it's not as bad as you think. Some people were even jealous...the boys were sure hitting on Lisa when they saw the photos of her. But you probably find that gross, huh?"

  "Not really, she's not my real mother, and I don't call her mom either."

  "I still can't believe you never even told me."

  "Sorry, he didn't want me to tell anyone, it would've caused an uproar. But hey, now you know...along with everyone else," I say with a sigh.

  I suppose they would've found out sooner or later. It's just not a secret that you can keep for too long.

  "I get it," she says as the bell rings.

  I walk inside the classroom and spot Cindy sitting in her usual seat. No friends surrounding her this time, just...all alone, looking pretty down too. Her bruises looked to have cleared up a little, although I didn't get her face as much as she got mine.

  "Come on," says Amanda, "let's sit, Ms Sandra will be here any minute."

  "Hang on a moment," I say, walking towards Cindy.

  "Cindy..." I gently say.

  "What?" she sadly says.

  "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry."

  Amanda gives me the, what-are-you-doing facial expression, but I ignore it and continued with what I was saying.

  "Is this a fake apology?" Cindy asks.

  I huff. "Like the one you gave me at the principle's office?"

  She looks down and plays with her pink sparkly pencil case zipper.

  I clear my throat. "Look Cindy, I didn't mean to get hit you. I just don't like it when people say mean things about my dad. It's probably hard for you to understand, but I didn't exactly have it that easy before I met him, I was abused pretty badly. And so I think you know where I was coming from when I-"

  "I get it, Jackson," she says, rolling her eyes. "But thanks."

  Suddenly Ms Sandra walks in the room, all chirpy. "Alright class, take your seats! Allison, how nice it is to have you back. You can sit down now," she says.

  I look at Cindy and she smiles. "Better sit down now," she repeats the teacher.

  I look away and sit down in my seat next to Amanda. I don't even know why I bother with Cindy, it's not like I'll get through to her anyway, it's like talking to a brick wall.

  Well, at least a brick wall isn't so rude.

'