☾Chapter 20

I made a book trailer for this story! I hope you can check it out soon! (video above.)

'

I slide my finger along the rack that many wedding gowns hang onto it in this bridal boutique, just looking and admiring them all.

  "Ally, what do you think about this dress?" Lisa holds up a short, white sparkly dress to her chest. Jeez, can't she wear something longer and prettier for once?

  Lisa wanted me to help her pick out a wedding dress, for "bonding time." She thinks it'll be a good idea since in a couple of weeks she'll be my mom. Sorry, but I'm still calling her Lisa.

  Daddy is in the groom's boutique next door, picking out a suit, or at least just something nice for the wedding. Although both stores have been specially closed down for us, of course.

  I shrug. "It's okay, but I like..." I pull out the ugliest dress I could find in this small store, "this one." I smile. It's long, navy blue and frilly, with a thick white ribbon around the waistline and a bulky peach bow to the side of it.

  "Uh," she says, looking at it up and down, "It's...it's alright."

I snicker at her lie. "Or, how about this one instead?" I pull out the second ugliest dress I could find, this time a violet color with a white veil material over it with flowers on it, and a huge strapless cut looking like you'll need to pull it up every second, and so long and thick it looks like you could trip over it.

  She gulps. "You uh, have very nice taste, Ally," I can sense the lie in her voice. "But, how about looking at these ones?" she motions to the rack up the front, "they're much prettier."

  "Psh, my daddy likes color. He's very creative, so don't go for the boring classic white dress."

  She bites her lip and looks at the clothing rack. "You think so?"

  "I mean you could," I put the dresses back in their place, "it's just that, you wanna look good, don't you?"

  "Well, of course I do." She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear.

  A woman then walks out from the dressing room and greets us, "Hello ladies, my name is Elaina. I'll help you out with whatever it is that you're looking for," she says. "Do you need any help at the moment?"

  "No thank you, I'm just looking around," says Lisa.

  "What kind of style are you into exactly?" Elaina asks.

  "Probably just classic white, perhaps something sparkly," says Lisa.

  "Ooh, I've got a lot of that." Elaina guides her towards the opposite side of the room and pulls out a white long wedding dress with silver glitter like swirls all around it, exposed backing, and a strapless front with padding inside of it to push up the breasts.

  "Oh my, this is really beautiful," says Lisa.

  "It is. It's our best one, actually. It also comes with a veil with diamonds around the crown. Would you like to try it on?" says Elaina, pulling out the matching veil.

  "I would love to. Ally, what do you think?"

  I look it up and down. "It's not too bad," I respond.

  "Not too bad? It's gorgeous! I'll be right back!" she says and disappears into the dressing room.

  I lean up against the wall, waiting and waiting and waiting forever for her to come out. I hear the dressing room door open and Lisa finally comes out wearing the dress, and I must say she actually does look pretty in it.

  "Well?" she asks, spinning around and pulling the veil up a little.

  "I think it looks great on you Lisa," I say.

  "Really? You think your dad will like it?"

  I nod my head.

  She looks in the mirror and smiles. "This is the one," she whispers.

  "What? But you haven't even tried on any of the other ones!" I say.

  "But I'm not looking for any others anyway, I just want this one. And besides, I'm not really in the mood to look for more and then get confused choosing between the two."

  "So, you'll take it then?" Elaina asks from behind.

  "Oh yes. Ring it up for me please," says Lisa.

'

To be continued...