☾Chapter 30

February, 1993:

Daddy is away on tour. He left in June, and although I miss him so much, I talk to him on the phone every other day. School is alright these days, and although Cindy keeps – trying – to harass me every now and then, Daddy always told me to keep my head up because I'm beautiful and I shouldn't let what anybody says bring me down. I stopped taking therapy a while ago because I don't need it anymore, and the only person I need to make me feel better is my daddy.

  Other than that, I've just been at home with Lisa and the maids to help take care of her over the months. Did I mention she's eight and a half months pregnant now? Her belly is huge. Daddy says he's going to come home this month to take a break and raise the baby with Lisa, although he's been dropping by from time to time over the last eight months, not to mention calling everyday since he can't stand to be away from us for too long, always making sure everything is well. And, Amanda has been coming over frequently, keeping me busy just so I don't feel lonely sometimes.

  Today I've been feeling a little funny. I don't exactly feel sick, but I'm just aching everywhere for some reason – must be from gym class.

  Lisa and I are sitting on the couch watching television, until I say, "Lisa, I have to use the bathroom."

  I get up from the couch and walk inside the bathroom. I lock the door and pull my pants down, only to see a splotch of blood on my underwear. What the?

  "AH!" I scream loudly.

  I hear Lisa knock on the door. "Ally? Ally what's wrong, are you OK?"

  I don't respond as I continue to stare down at the bloodiness on my underwear. It can't be my...already?

  More knocking on the door. "Ally?"

  "B-Blood," is all I say.

  "Blood? Where?" I hear her ask.

  "My underwear..."

  "And that is how your period works," Lisa explains, sitting next to me on my bed.

  "Sounds really gross," I say, making an 'eww' face.

  "Well it happens to every young woman," she says, smoothing my hair back, "and you, Ally, are a young woman."

  "I don't wanna be a...woman."

  "But, you are thirteen years old now. It typically happens around your age. I got mine a year before you did," she explains, holding up a pad and hands it to me.

  I take it and shrug. "Whatever."

  "You know, if it weren't for your period, you wouldn't get pregnant, and your mommy wouldn't have had you, and I wouldn't have had this little angel right here," she says, rubbing her big belly.

  "Really?"

  "Yeah, and of course with the help of your daddy-"

  "Okay! Okay! I know that part!" I say, covering my ears.

  She chuckles. "Someday, you're going to think differently about it, and realise that it's the most beautiful thing in the world."

  "Blah, blah, blah, blah!" I yell, still covering my ears.

  She removes my hands from my ears. "Why don't you tell your daddy the news?" she suggests. "I'm sure he'd love to hear about it."

  "I don't know..."

  "Oh come on," she picks up the telephone, "go on and call him."

  I pick up the telephone and dial Daddy's number. The phone rings and soon I hear his voice answer, "Hey Allison," he says.

  "Daddy guess what?" I say.

  "What is it Princess?"

  "I started my period!"

  I look over at Lisa and she smiles at me.

  "Oh that's great sweetheart, you really are becoming my young woman. That's very good news, baby," he says.

  I blush. "Thanks Daddy." I twirl the phone cord around my finger.

  "And actually, I also have some good news. I'm coming home this week!"

  "YAY! DADDY YOU'RE COMING HOME!" I squeal as loud as I can. Lisa gasps and motions for the phone to speak to him.

  "Daddy, I'm going to pass you over to Lisa now," I say, handing the phone over to her.

  "Hi sweetheart, how's my favorite man doing?" she says.

"Really? Oh I can't wait for you to come home! I missed you so much. Aww...already?" her facial expression saddens, "okay, alright, I'll see you. Ally and I love you, bye."

  She hangs up the phone and I jump up and down on my bed. "Daddy's coming home! Daddy's coming home! Daddy's coming home!" I repeat again and again.

  "Wow there, careful now! That isn't good for your cramps," says Lisa.

  I jump down and lay on my bed, clutching my stomach. "Ouch..." I pout.

  "I'll go make you something for that," she says with a chuckle, walking out of the room.

    Periods? Not exactly something to get excited about. Although I am kind of excited to tell Amanda that I got it. I wonder if she has hers yet...better yet, I wonder if Cindy has hers. I smirk just thinking about it.

'