Chapter 1: Before the Ghost.

The crowded market place paid no attention to a small seven year old boy wandering about. He kept a sharp eye open for any imperial troopers as he finished up his shopping trip.

         'Papa did say there would be more troopers today,' he thought to himself as he got the last item on his last.

        "There you are young one," the vendor said smiling at him.

         "Thank you," he responded heading back home.

When he arrived back home, he found a note on the table.

"Ezra, thanks for going to the market for me. Turns out I had to go in today. They are shorthanded with Empire day being tomorrow. Once you get this come to the bar and bring something to do, it's going to be awhile. Love Papa."

           "Great," the boy groaned.

He remembered the last time the bar was short staffed and that was the first time he saw someone be shot over nothing. His father didn't know it until later that night when Ezra woke up screaming from a nightmare. Deciding he should hurry, Ezra grabbed his bag and couple of books, his sketch book and pencils. Ten minutes later Ezra was walking up to a shady cantina that had all kinds of low life hanging around.

          "Hey Boy, you have any spare credits?" One man slurred at him.

Ezra shied away wanting to get to the safety of his father's arms. Even if it was for a few seconds.

         "Hey don't walk away from me," the man said grabbing Ezra's backpack obviously drunk to the max.

The seven year old jerked around trying to hide his fear as the man's face came close.

         "Let him go and get away from my son," a voice growled.

Ezra glanced over to see his dad and his blaster trained on the drunk.

         "And if I don't, Jarrus? What then?"

        "It's not going to be a good day for you," Kanan Jarrus smirked as he saw the grip loosen just enough for Ezra to get out.

Ezra felt the slack on his bag and he jerked free, running for Kanan who wrapped a protective arm around the boy when he slammed into his side. The drunk muttered as he staggered off.

         "Sh...it's ok, Son, it's ok," Kanan soothed as Ezra began to shake.

         "Papa," Ezra whispered.

         "He's gone, are you alright?" Kanan asked as holstered the blaster.

Ezra nodded and Kanan picked him up and walked inside. The inside of the bar was a little more civilized and each patron knew not to mess with Kanan's kid.

Kanan POV

I had been waiting patiently for my boy to get here but when I saw old man Thomas leave, I got worried. Ezra is a smart child and knew how to handle certain situations but he was still young.

     "Watch it Kanan," Joe complained when I started wiping his hand instead of the counter.

     "Sorry Jho, Ezra isn't here yet and Thomas just left," I said keeping my eyes locked on the open door.

     "Don't worry so much, Ezra's probably still at the market place," Jho reasoned.

I wanted to believe him but my gut told me otherwise. Suddenly a customer said that Thomas was about to rough up a kid.

    "Oh please, no," I prayed silently as I run out the door.

Sure enough Thomas had my boy by the backpack and was in his face fist drawn back ready to strike. With a racing heart I grabbed my blaster and aimed it straight at Thomas's head.

     "Let go and get away from my son," I growled.

I watched Ezra glance at me but he was scared. I glared at Thomas as he looked at me with that stupid drunk grin on his face.

  "And if I don't, Jarrus? What then?"

I had to swallow my anger or Ezra would get hurt.

    "It's not going to be a good day for you."

Thomas even drunk knew I was highly protective of my son and that I was a really good shot. His grip loosened and Ezra took the chance and broke free. He ran to my side and threw his small arms around me burying his face into my shirt. I wrapped an arm around him but kept the blaster pointed straight at Thomas.

He decided that it wasn't worth the fight and staggered off muttering under his breath. I looked down as I felt Ezra began to shake in my arms.

    "Sh...it's ok, Son, it's ok," I tried to soothe him, but I could tell that he was still scared.

     "Papa," Ezra whispered.

     "He's gone," I promised as I holstered my blaster and kelt down so we were face to face. "Are you alright?"

Ezra nodded and put his arms around my neck in a tight hug.

     "Sh...," I said hoping to calm him down as I picked him up. 

     "I'm sorry," he whispered.

I just tightened my grip and walked back into the bar. Little did I know we were being watched from two different views. Many of the customers glanced at us but went back to their drinks knowing I wasn't going to let go of my boy. Joe looked at me with concern as I sat Ezra down on the counter and checked him over again.

Thankfully he didn't fight me and I sighed in relief to see he was only shaken up. However he just kept his head down.

     "EJ," I said softly.

Blue eyes glanced up.

   "Son, why did you say you were sorry?"

   "Because he wanted credits and I didn't leave," he said hiding his face again.

I grabbed him in a tight embrace and just held him there.

   "Ezra, Thomas was so drunk he would have followed you."

The boy dug his head against my chest. I laid my head against his and then picked him up. Kneeling I sat him on the floor, took off his backpack, laid him down, and pulled my jacket over him.

    "Sleep, before you know it, it will be time to go," I whispered standing up.

Ezra smiled as he drifted off.