A Memory

I'm sorry. 

Kanan POV

I woke up to the sound of someone over me.

"Is he gonna be alright?" A gruff voice asked.

A voice that I haven't heard in years.

"With proper rest, but make sure you keep that baby quiet," another voice said.

What? Where am I? A low growl emitted and I guess who ever said that became nervous.

"Well the best you can," he recovered.

I tried to open my eyes and found it difficult. The voices faded and I let the darkness consume me . When I woke again I heard a baby crying and the same gruff voice.

"Come on young one, your Papa is not feeling well."

I got up unsteadily, feeling really dizzy. The baby's cries seemed to get more desperate and a deep pang in my chest made me want to go to him.

"Ezra please," the voice said.

I knew that voice and it made me so happy. I got the door open to reveal my long lost friend.

"Janus?" I croaked stumbling forward..

The man whirled around to face me, a disapproving look on his face.

"Kid get back in bed."

I titled my head and it proved to be a bad idea. A wave a nausea hit and I swayed on my feet.

"Kanan you have the flu and you hit your head. Go back to bed and once I get Ezra to sleep I'll come help you," Janus ordered again.

I looked down at the infant to see him struggling in the man's arms.

"Ezra," I rasped.

The boy looked up at me and reached out wanting to be with me.

"No no little one, we can't afford you getting sick too," Janus said backing away.

When Ezra looked back at me his blue eyes filling with tears, it all clicked. I was in a memory, one of my last with Janus. I decided to do as told and enjoy it while it lasted.

When I woke up  I felt a lot better. I could hear Ezra's sharp cry meaning he was hungry and Janus sighing.

"Gonna be glad when your papa is back in action."

I laughed and got up to take a shower. After I was done I got changed and went into the living room. Ezra was on his play mat gnawing on a teething ring. Janus was sacked out on the couch.

"Did you wear Uncle Janus out Buddy?" I whispered crouching down to his level.

Ezra squealed happily and pushed himself up so he could crawl.

"Come on Son, come to Daddy," I smiled holding my hands out.

Ezra laughed and began crawling over to me.

"Glad you're feeling better," Janus mumbled.

I chuckled and scooped my baby up cradling him to me knowing what was about to happen next.

"Janus, thank you for everything,"

He just looked at me before the first explosion hit. The whole room shook causing me to fall forward, Ezra's frightened scream ringing in my ears. I clutched him to me wanting to shut out the horrible noises.

"Kid? Kid? Are you two ok?" Janus yelped sliding to a stop beside us.

I wanted to speak but I couldn't. The second explosion hit and I waited for the floor to crack open and Janus to shove me and Ezra out of the way. But that didn't happen. In fact everything just seemed to stop and fade away. I blinked and I was standing in a white room and something was missing.

"Ezra! Ezra where are you!" I called looking around.

"He's not here Caleb," a voice said from behind.

I whirled around to see Janus, looking like he did when I first met him.

"How did you know my real name?"

"That's not important," he said with a wave a his hand.

"Then what about..."

"Ezra," he interrupted. "Yeah, poor kid is gonna be devastated when he finds you."

Wait what?

"So wait, I'm dead?" I asked rather shocked.

"Yes, yes you are."

My eyes widened. 

Again really sorry but there is more to come and ya'll will love it.