Welcome Part Three

NPOV

"Caleb, I found out what happened to your master and I am so sorry. I'm helping start up a rebellion and I needed a leader. I remembered you from when we were kids and I figured this would be right up your alley," Hera said.

"Hera, I go by Kanan here. Caleb Dume died a long time ago and is now a character in a child's story," he said keeping his voice low holding Ezra a little tighter. 

"I'm sorry Kanan. But I would really like it if you could join me," Hera said.

Kanan set back against the couch deep in thought. She watched him rub mindless patterns into the child's back.

'That must be a way for him to think or calm Ezra down,' Hera thought.

Kanan POV

Hera wants me to join her in fighting against the Empire. Ezra shifted in his sleep and I as I stared at his small innocent face, I thought about what I had heard on other rebels. Once captured they be tortured and then killed or sometimes they would be killed on the spot. The thought of leaving Ezra behind made my heart race. Who would take care of him or would he even survive? He was just a little boy and I couldn't even begin to think of what would happen if he was captured. 

"Hera, I can't just run off to fight. I do have a kid to think about," I said still trying to process her offer. 

"Exactly, we would be making a difference so he and other children can have a chance to grow up without fear," Hera reasoned.

"How are we getting funded?" I was worried about how I was going to support my son.

"I have my sources," she said slyly.

Ezra chose that moment to wake up with a start. He looked up at me with fearful expression before relaxing.

"Dreams getting you again?" I asked concerned.

"Expect this time you were Caleb jumping into save me, but this crazy looking man hurt you badly," he said.

"I really need to stop telling those stories," I chuckled.

"You always say that," Ezra grinned

I smirked at him before drawing a hand across his stomach.

"Daddy," he cried in a burst of giggles.

I laughed with him before sitting him between me and Hera.

"Ticklish I see," Hera smiled.

"Very," I said before turning serious.

Ezra immediately picked up on the mood change.

"Papa?" He asked confused.

"Ezra, you know what happened today caused me to lose my job and our income, right?"

He nodded. 

"Ok, Hera has offered us a chance to go up against the Empire. However I'm not sure we should do it?"

I could see the wheels in his head turning.

"You're worried about me aren't you?" Was his reply.

"Always," I answered.

"Papa, the Empire burnt down the bar today, people could have died. The Empire does all kinds of bad things and I don't want anyone else to get hurt."

I pulled him to me before I smiled in pride.

"So what do you say EJ, ready to free the galaxy?" I asked giving his shoulder a gentle squeeze. 

Ezra's eyes lit up with excitement. I glanced at Hera.

"Well, Hera, we're in."

She smiled and I felt my heart flutter and I'm pretty sure I have a stupid look on my face, because Ezra laughed and wiggled at out of my grasp.

"So when we going?"

NPOV

It was two days later when Kanan and Ezra walked up the ramp of the Ghost. 

"Wow," Ezra said in wonder.

Kanan looked around as well but kept a firm grip on Ezra's hand.

"Well Son, our new lives start now," he said looking down at his boy.

"Yeah and I like the arm guard," Ezra smiled.

Kanan chuckled before adjusting Ezra's collar and tickled him.

"Papa," Ezra complained trying to get away.

Kanan POV

Oh the joy to hear him complain.

"I said I like it," he said looking at me.

Since joining Hera, Ezra and I had adapted a new attire. It wasn't much but now we looked like rebels. I reached out and ruffled his hair as Ezra began to laugh throwing his arms around my waist.

"Do you think we will be good at this?" He asked.

I honestly didn't know but looking down into his eyes erased any doubt I had at the moment.

"Are you kidding? We are going to be a force to be reckon with. The Empire won't know what hit them," I said picking him up with a laugh.

"That's what I like to hear," a voice said catching us off guard.

I turned to see Hera looking down at us from a deck.

"How long have you been standing there?" I asked nervously.

"Long enough to know you really love him," she said with a smile.

I blushed hard and Ezra being the mischievous child he's always been grabbed my goatee.

"Ow! You know that's attached right?"

Ezra grinned at me before I realized what he did.

"How do you do that?"

"I learned from the best," he smirked before I dropped him.

He just laughed as he landed gracefully.

"Hera, we here for duty," Ezra grinned up at the pilot.

I couldn't help but chuckle at his antics and leaned down so he could hear me clearly.

"Ezra, it's we are reporting for duty Captain."

He looked up at me before blushing at his mix up and tried it again.

"At ease young one," Hera smiled.

I could tell that though things wouldn't always be easy and there would trouble, especially with Ezra, but as long as we were together we would always make it.