Before the Ghost Part Two

NPOV

Two hours later, the bar had quieted down, but was still full of people. Every time Kanan made a pass from the bar counter he made sure his son was still sleeping peacefully despite the noise.

      "Hey Daddy, can we have some refills?" One customer called as his friends laughed their heads off.

      "Sure," Kanan said snorting softly through his nose.

It had always been like this since he started bringing Ezra to work.

      "How do you do it?" Joe asked as Kanan came back to the counter.

       "I have learned to tune them out," he chuckled glancing down again.

Ezra was starting to wake.

      "Daddy," he whispered.

Kanan reached out and rubbed the boy's back.

     "Sh... it's ok, go back to sleep," he said soothed.

Ezra blinked his eyes open and rolled over rubbing the sleep from them.

      "Well, good afternoon, little one," Joe chuckled.

       "Hi Joe," he smiled. "Papa, can I have something to drink?"

Kanan chuckled, before fishing out a drink that he could have.

        "I figured you would be thirsty," he said handing it to Ezra.

       "Thank you."

Kanan ruffled his hair and went back to work. Ezra grinned grabbing a book to read.

Ezra POV

I'm not sure how long I sat behind the counter but I was about half way through my book when Papa appeared. I could tell from his face that something was wrong but he wasn't looking at me. I wondered why when I heard a familiar voice.

     "Bar Boy, give me a drink and don't mess it up this time," Agent Kallus commanded.

I watched Papa mix it up but his movements were stiff and jerky. I knew it had something to do with me being there; he didn't know what was going to happen.

     "Why isn't the Imperial News not on?" Kallus growled as I heard the glass sit down.

     "No one asks for it," Joe said handing a customer a drink.

I looked up through the cracks to see Kallus snarl and then slam his fist against the counter.

     "It's the law!" He commanded.

Papa and Joe made no movement. I suddenly got a really bad feeling as I watched Kallus pull out his gun and aim it straight at Papa.

Kanan POV

Oh great, Kallus just had to walk in when I was going to get to take a break and at least take Ezra home. He looked like he was already in a bad mood so I decided to play nice for once, but I kept thinking about the little boy underneath the counter. I mixed his drink and gave it to him as he complained about the news not being on. Joe told him that no one ever asks for it. That didn't sit to well with Kallus as he slammed a fist down and said it was the law to have it on. I didn't make a movement and that's when he pulled out his gun and aimed it at me. I knew Ezra could see it but I wasn't about to break. Then Kallus did something unexpected. He aimed the blaster at the counter.

       "I know you have a child hidden under this bar and if you don't cooperate, I'll just have to shoot."

That got my attention quick and I heard a quiet whimper. I could have kicked myself, because I knew Ezra could hear what was going on and was more than likely staring up at the muzzle.

       "What makes you think there is a kid underneath there?" I said trying to protect Ezra.

       "Oh I know, I saw you carrying one in here several hours ago. Since there has been no child exit the building, the little street rat has to be hidden underneath the counter," Kallus sneered as he squeezed the trigger.

I felt my heart stop as the shots went through the wood but I didn't move, I couldn't move. Seeing my reaction Kallus smirked and then turned to the trooper beside him.

     "Trooper, I condemn the building and I want everyone out."

My eyes widened, that meant he was about to destroy the bar.

     "Get moving."

With a painful heart I stepped away from counter and away from my Little Light. Once we were all outside Kallus threw in a bomb and set the building on fire. Joe put a hand on my shoulder in comfort but I wasn't giving him much attention. Kallus and the troopers left content that all damage had been done, but I knew that I needed to go get Ezra. I wasn't going to leave him in there, dead or alive.

    "Kanan, come back!" Joe called after me as I dashed inside.

The smoke was thick by this point and I choked on it trying to making my way toward the back. I called my son's name on instinct and that's when I heard the most wonderful sound. 

     "Papa!"

     "Ezra!"

I dove behind the bar to find him clutching his bag and my coat to his body crying.

    "EJ!" I cried gathering him into my arms.

    "Papa!" He cried.

As much as I wanted to hold and cradle him in my arms, I knew we had to escape this inferno. I slung his bag over my shoulder and draped my coat over him.

    "Don't worry, Son, it's going to be ok," I soothed picking him up and making a dash for the exit.

However the galaxy had a different plan. The ceiling partially collapsed blocking our escape and the noise scared him so much he screamed.

      "It's ok Buddy, it's ok, Daddy's got you," I told him backing way from the heat.

I felt his arms tighten around my neck and tears soaking my shirt. I finally found a window and I knew what I had to do as the ceiling began to groan again.

  "Hold tight Son," I whispered in his ear.

Ezra cried out but did as asked. I looked up and then toward the window. The next thing I knew I was through the window on my knees coughing violently.

   "Ezra?" I called as I pulled him away from my chest to check on him.

He stared at me with those big blue eyes and was still crying but looked unharmed. I pulled him back to me kissing his head.

    "Oh Ezra," I whispered gently rocking him.

I stood up on shaky legs and walked back to the front of the building to see Joe waiting impatiently.