New Family part two

Thank you for all of the kind reviews, please enjoy this chapter. 

The two stared at the large Lasat before Hera seemed to find her voice.

"Thank you Zeb, you saved our lives."

The warrior grinned sheepishly. Kanan took Ezra from Hera, patting his back soothingly as he whimpered. He had run ins with troopers before but he didn't know why this time left him feeling terrified.

"I would love to repay you for saving our lives. You look like you could use a decent meal, why don't you come back with us?" Hera declared snapping Kanan from his daze. 

Zeb looked at her in shock, and then looked up at the man with the young child. 

"Alright, you ma'am have your self a deal."

Several hours later the small group was enjoying the night air.

"I must admit that was indeed the best meal I have had a long time," Zeb complemented.

"Thank you, and I'm sorry about your home. It must have been something awful," Hera said.

"Yes Ma'am, but that's ok; it just gives me more of a reason to hate the Empire," Zeb said sitting back.

Kanan glanced down at the young boy in his lap as he played with his loth cat toy. The child that him and Hera had to raise because his parents were gone. Not because of the Empire but because of the evil choices one man made. Ezra would someday ask questions but Kanan wouldn't be able to answer them. 

"Kanan?"

Snapping out of day dream, Kanan looked at Hera.

"Sorry what?"

"I asked if you were listening?"

"No I'm sorry Hera," Kanan said as she pointed down.

He looked to see Ezra curled up fast asleep. Chuckling he gently lifted the boy into his arms and placed his toy on his chest.

"He sure is a cute one," Zeb grinned.

"Thank you," Kanan said.

"Zeb, I have been thinking why don't you stay with us?" Hera offered.

Kanan and Zeb stared at her in shock.

"I don't know what to say. You barely know me and yet here you are offering me a place on your ship. I don't get," Zeb said looking between her and Kanan. 

"Let's just say I have a sixth sense when it comes to reading people. I can tell you are something special, something that this rebellion needs to take down the Empire," Hera said smiling. 

Kanan bounced the boy a little as he shifted in his sleep speaking softly in his ear. Zeb watched the exchange and thought back to his own family that had been lost. He had saved this small family and vowed to continue protecting. 

"You have yourself a deal."

Hera smiled and glanced at Kanan who seemed to give her a questioning look but she chose to ignore it. 

"Welcome aboard Zeb." 

Kanan excused himself to put Ezra to bed while they discussed details. In reality he was getting away to think. 

"So our crew is getting bigger?" Ezra asked sleepily.

"In a way," Kanan said laying the boy down. "There is one thing. I think it will be safer for all of us if you stick to calling me and Hera by our first names."

"Wait, what?" Ezra asked now very awake.

"Son, please I'll discuss this with your mother but I want to protect the both of you..."

"You don't trust him do you?"

Kanan POV

Sometimes he can read me like a book.

"Not yet, but Hera does so I'll go along, for now."

Ezra smiled as his eyes became heavy.

"I trust him. He is good," with that Ezra drifted off to sleep.

"You are something else Baby Boy. See you in the morning," I said pulling the blanket over him and kissing his cheek.

I sighed as I stepped out.

"He asleep?"

I looked up to see Hera with her hands on her hips and that eye brow raised.

"Just drifted off but will probably notice if you go in there," I said.

Hera shook her head and went into the cabin. I watched her stroke Ezra's hair, whisper something into his ear and then kiss him on the side of his head.

"He loves you," I said softly.

"And I him," she said smiling. "Now for you; what's wrong?" 
I nodded indicating that we should continue this in our room.

"Alright Love, talk to me, what's wrong?" She asked when the door shut.

"Do you really trust this guy?"

She sighed before nodding.

"Yes, there is something about him and the rebellion could use someone like him," she said gently taking my hand. "I know you are very protective but  can you just trust him? Trust me?"

"Alright, I will, but only because you asked me," I said relenting. 

She laughed softly shaking her head.

"You are something else."

"Funny that's what I told Ezra," I chuckled leaning in for a kiss only for it to be dodged. 

"Hey," I complained. 

"Nope I have work to do," she said heading for the door. 

"Like what?" 

"Like checking on our new crew member and get the ship back into space before imperials find us. Good night," she said leaving the room with a wave. 

Wow two updates in one weekend. Sorry Zeb's joining of the Ghost is uneventful but I promise Sabine will be making an appearance soon. Ok I figured some of you are wondering about where we are. By this time in the story, we are about a week before Spark of Rebellion. Zeb does not know that Kanan and Hera are married or that Ezra is their son. That knowledge will come later.