Almost Home Part Three

Please enjoy the next chapter.

NPOV

Hera had reserves when Kanan told her to leave without him and Ezra but she also knew that if Kanan answered then this time he would definitely be behind them. She however was not prepared for the sight that greeted her when both of the ships docked and away in hyperspace. She got the hatch open and climbed out of the tie fighter to see Kanan standing there holding their son tight to his chest. She could see the man's shoulders shaking and instantly knew something was wrong.

"Kanan?" She asked walking over to him. "Kanan what's wrong?"

He looked up at her with red rimmed eyes and uttered the words no mother ever wants to hear.

"Ezra's dead."

That had been two weeks ago.

Hera POV

I sighed as I walked into Kanan's hospital room. He had collapsed after he said that Ezra was gone. I can still remember how his voice ached and the brief moments when he woke during surgery screaming for the boy. The doctors had to physically knock him out. I sank into a chair beside Kanan and took his hand.

"Oh Love you have missed a lot in the last two weeks," I whispered.

As if he heard me, his hand twitched.

"Kanan? Love can you hear me?"

He moved again and softly groaned his eyes fluttering open.

"Hera?" He whispered.

"Easy Kanan," I said moving the bed so he could sit up.

"Hera...Ezra he...he...,"

"Shh...it's alright, he's been taken care of," I responded.

He gave a dry sob his chest heaving. I got him a drink and helped him so he didn't choke.

"Please tell me that he's at peace," he pleaded tears forming in his eyes.

"Well as peaceful as he can be with a fractured neck, skull, and a broken arm," I said grimly.

He gave me a terrified look. Of course he didn't know, he passed out believing his son was gone.

"Hun, once I pried you off Ezra, I checked for a pulse just to make sure. I found one very faint. In fact his heart stopped twice before the doctors could get everything under control," I told him.

"You mean he's...he's...he's..."

"Yes, Kanan, our son is still alive."

Kanan POV

Ezra's alive! Ezra's alive! My sweet baby is alive, severely injured, but alive. I wanted to get up and go to where he was but Hera pushed me back down with a glare.

"I want to see Ezra," I said.

"An you will when the doctor says you can move again."

"What could possibly be wrong with me" I asked.

"Kanan you should be in a body cast with as many injuries as you have. The only thing that isn't injured is your shoulders up and one of them is dislocated!" She argued.

I sighed slumping against the pillow.

"That's not the worse," I muttered.

"What?"

" I died Hera! I went into cardiac arrest and somehow was able to come back. Janus met me and said I had a choice and even one of them wasn't even a guarantee that Ezra would make it in time. The worse part about it was that I would be leaving my baby alone in the galaxy. Something I swore I would never do and you know what I did it anyway. I left him alone Hera and he almost died. I lost the most important thing to me," I ranted and quiet frankly I didn't care.