Chapter Three: Child of the Ghost

Thank you to everyone that has voted and read my story. Please enjoy the chapter. 

Ezra POV

It has been exactly six months since Papa and I had joined the Ghost. Him and Hera have already done hundreds of missions for a mysterious character named Fulcrum. Hera said that it was safer that we didn't know who he or she was but I think she doesn't know who it is either. I stayed in the same bedroom as Papa and it was alright but the set back was I had to stay in here when they had missions. I chuckled as I remembered when I had woken up to find the room empty and the door locked. 

FLASHBACK

NPOV

It was the first time Ezra had woken up to find Kanan gone and the door locked tight. Not knowing what was going on he panicked and started calling out hitting the door. Luckily Kanan had just returned from the mission and was looking forward to a hot shower and some sleep. However all thoughts of that went out the window when he heard a desperate plea followed by a series of banging.

"Papa! Papa!"

Kanan groaned his big hope of Ezra still being sleep vanished too.

"You better go get him, before he tears that door down," Hera laughed securing a few crates.

He nodded and was up stairs in record time. Ezra's pleas became louder and more frantic the closer he got to his room.

"I really got to have a serious talk with him," he muttered unlocking the door.

It slid open with ease causing Ezra to tumble out and into Kanan's arms.

"Papa!" He cried out again.

"What has you so riled up Little Light?" Kanan asked.

Ezra's head shot up, tears starting to form in his eyes.

"Papa!" He cried lunging forward hugging the man tight.

"Ezra, calm down  you're safe," he comforted.

"I thought you abandoned me," he said burying his face.

Kanan tightened his arms around the boy before standing and going into his room.

"Ezra," he began, sitting the child on his bed. "You know for a fact that I would never in a million years abandon you. I love you more than anything else in the galaxy."

"But why did you leave me in here with the door locked?"

"I left you in here because it makes me feel better knowing that you are safe and sound where Imperials can't get to you. The door stays locked just in case they do get on the ship, they will have a harder time getting to you. Do you understand?" Kanan explained.

Ezra bowed his head not wanting to look his father in the eye. Kanan grasped his son's chin gently but firmly, turning his head up so they were eye to eye.

"Ezra, do you understand that I only do it because I love you and I want to keep you safe?"

"Yes, Dad," Ezra said with a small smile feeling embarrassed that he had reacted like he did. He knew Kanan wouldn't leave him.

"Good boy, now how about you wait for me and after I finish up with Hera and get me and you a shower, we can go to bed. How about that?" Kanan asked.

"Ok," Ezra said while yawning.

Kanan kissed his head and went to leave but stopped at the door.

"On second thought, why don't you join me, so you can learn a few things?"

Ezra's eyes widened in excitement as he jumped off the bunk, grabbing his hand.

"Let's go!"Ezra shouted dragging Kanan along. 

"Ezra!" 

PRESENT

Ezra POV

"Now I know not to panic," I chuckled to myself picking up the book I had been reading.

Ever since we came on board Papa doesn't have as much time to spend with me. I know it's not his fault but I'm lonely. One day I was in the market with Hera getting supplies and I found a book on binary and droids. Thinking I could make me a friend I purchased it and Papa said he would help me build a droid. Curling up on Papa's bed I picked up where I had left off.  

About two hours later I heard Papa and Hera returning.  Not two-seconds later, the door slid open.

"Well, another mission accomplished," he said smiling at me.

"All supplies secure?" I asked closing the book and setting it down.

"And in order, to Hera's instructions. Come on Kiddo let's grab some food," he said.

I got off the bed but when my feet hit the floor, my vision became fuzzy and the next thing I knew I hit the floor. 

"Ezra!"

Kanan POV

I was excited to get some food since I missed breakfast. However I as I went to let Ezra out of our room I felt a disturbance through the force.

"What the..." I said as it got stronger.

"What's wrong?" Hera asked.

"I'm not sure," I said as it disappeared. "What ever it was, it's gone now."

Hera shrugged and went toward the cockpit. I reached my room and opened the door to see Ezra reading. 

"Well, another mission accomplished," I said startling him a little.

"All supplies secure?" he asked grinning at me. 

"And in order, to Hera's instructions. Come on Kiddo let's grab some food," I said.

Ezra smiled and got up but when his feet the disturbance returned and he collapsed. 

"Ezra!"

I rushed forward and scooped him up holding him close.

"Ezra? Ezra, come on Son wake up," I pleaded.

I have seen him collapse in exhaustion before but never like this.

"Ezra!" I called his name again but he didn't move. 

Fearfully I felt for a pulse and found it strong if not a little rapid. Sighing in relief I felt his forehead thinking he might have gotten sick while I was gone but it was normal. Hera came rushing in demanding to know what was wrong but I couldn't tell her just because I didn't know myself. Suddenly a voice whispered in my ear, telling me to use the force. Let it guide me and I will know what's wrong with my son. I laid him down on the bed and sat down beside him.

"Hope this works," I said taking his hand and placing one against his forehead.

I closed my eyes, accessing the force; something I haven't done since I was a padawan. I felt a tug and everything went dark.