Almost Home part four

Here is the next part. I do hope all of you enjoy and have a wonderful day. 

Sabine POV

My hand trembled as I continued to paint. That is all I have been doing for the past two weeks, painting and quite frankly I'm sick of it. My adoptive father was in a coma while my little brother clung to what life he had left. Why does the galaxy always want to take away my family? A knock on my door brought me out of my thoughts.

"Come in," I called softly.

"Hey uh, Hera said that Kanan woke up," Zeb said stepping in.

"He did? What about Ezra?" I asked spinning around.

Zeb's head dropped a little, his ears drooping.

"They took him out of the tank but other than that there's no change. The doctors are almost certain the kid isn't going to wake up but she really doesn't want to tell Kanan that," he said.

"Of course she doesn't! Kanan is his father! Why would she tell him that doctors said his chances of survival is less than five percent!" I yelled as I started to cry.

I felt Zeb wrap his arms around me letting me cry against his chest.

"Hey come on now, this is Ezra we're talking about. I mean we've seen the kid bounce back from being shot and breaking his leg."

I choked on a laugh remembering that day.

Flashback Two years ago.

Ezra and I were out in the fields target practicing.

"So he trusts you with a blaster but not anything else?"

Ezra just shrugged his shoulders.

"Yeah, but then again ever since we came on board he barely let's me out his sight. The only time he ever does is when Hera needs him to do something."

I shook my head and we continued on for a couple more rounds.

"Wow you are really good," he said wiping sweat from his forehead.

"Years of practice," I said before I got really bad feeling.

I whirled around to see a trooper aiming at us from another hill.

"Look out!" I yelled too late.

Ezra jumped but the shot connected with his shoulder. He fell back with a screech. I fired off a couple of shots and the trooper fell. I turned back to check on  Ezra only to find him at the bottom of the hill clutching his leg.

"Uh oh."

I raced down to see the damage and reached for my comm.

"No don't call Kanan, trust me," he hissed.

"Too late Ezra," a voice said.

I looked up and sure enough Kanan was standing there with his arms crossed, fatherly concern all over his face.

"As much as I don't want a lecture, I really don't like being like this so can we skip that part?" Ezra asked.

Kanan sighed scooping him up and took him back to the ship, with me following close behind. After about two hours and Ezra complaining that he could handle himself, Kanan knocked him out so he could sleep. It wasn't until later that night did Kanan tell me that he didn't blame me for what happened and asked if I needed to be checked out. Of course I didn't but the fact that he was concerned enough to ask me himself spoke wonders.  Of course the next day Ezra wouldn't stop pestering the poor man to let him walk. I think that was one time Kanan begged for a shopping trip.

Present

"You're right Zeb, if Ezra is anything like Kanan then he'll be okay," I whispered suddenly feeling really tired.

"Get some sleep Sab," Zeb said pulling me over to my bed.

I didn't protest and it didn't take long for me to welcome the darkness.

NPOV

Hera reached for a cup of caff when someone cleared their throat behind her. She turned to see it was Ashoka.

"Oh hello Ashoka," she said tiredly.

"Hello to you too Hera, how is Kanan and Ezra?" The Tortuga asked.

"Kanan's on the mend but I'm worried about Ezra. The doctors aren't giving him much hope and I can't bear to tell Kanan because if something does happen then well...." she trailed off.

Ashoka smiled placing a hand on the pilot's shoulder.

"If it's on thing I've learned about Masters and Students that the harder head the Master, the Student is about ten times worse. Ezra will be alright."

Hera smiled for the first time in awhile.

"You're right, Ezra is very hard headed to match his harder of a head Master. I'm sorry I didn't follow your orders it's just, well I couldn't let him die like that," Hera said turning back to her drink on the counter. 

"I understand completely," Ashoka said after a few moments. "You couldn't bear to lose your husband or let a little boy lose his father."

Hera's eyes widened as she spun around to face the Rebel Leader.

"How did you?"

"Know? Well I have been watching and the way Ezra talked over his broadcast. I sort of put two and two together," she laughed.

"I know Jedi aren't suppose to have relationships but,"

"Yes but that was the old tradition and sometimes traditions are made to be broken," Ashoka said before taking on a look of concentration.

"What? What's wrong?" Hera asked worriedly.

"Ezra......."

Hera POV

I honestly think my heart stopped for a moment.

"What about him?"

Ashoka turned to me a sad look on her face.

"I was afraid this might happen. Kanan is his only hope now and if he can't pull him back then there nothing any of us can do."

I rushed out and ran back to my son's room to see the machines going haywire. Doctors came rushing in trying to get everything under control.

"Captain Syndulla, you are going to have to leave," a nurse said pulling on my arm.

"That's my son," I hissed.

"I understand and we will do everything we can," she said before shoving me out.

"Don't let him die," I glared before the door snapped shut.

I continued to watch afraid that if I moved then they would just let him go. I contacted Zeb and told him to check up on Kanan and quickly. When he replied he said that Kanan's vitals were doing the same thing. I finally realized that somehow through the force Kanan was working on trying to save our son from whatever still had him. I saw the people in the room shock Ezra's body one more time before stopping their hurried activity. That alone had me bursting into the room. A long tone of heartache reached my ears. However  when all seemed lost a single beep  sounded followed by another. I sighed in relief and  walked over to the bed just in time to see two beautiful blue eyes flutter open.

"Mama?" Came a gentle whisper. 

I do hope all of you enjoyed the chapter and yes Ashoka has arrived.