Almost Home Part One

Please enjoy the next chapter. 

Kanan POV

"Not much farther," Ezra huffed as he struggled to support my weight. 

"Hey, don't strain yourself," I told him. 

He shook his head and continued to drag me along. 

"Do I want to know how you guys got on board?" I asked not really wanting to know the answer. 

Ezra froze for a second and then shoved me into a side hallway. 

"EJ," I hissed as the sudden movement hurt my ribs.

However before he could answer a squad of troopers came marching by.

"Come on," he whispered when they left.

'Ok, something is not right,' I thought to myself.

I winced as Ezra's small shoulders shook with exhaustion. I wanted to comfort him but now wasn't the time. 

"Gonna have to take a new route," he said turning us towards the engine room.

"Let me guess, had to slice a few locks?" I asked.

"More or less," he chuckled.

There we go, there's my boy. Despite my pain I straightened up more to ease some of weight off him. I had to bite my tongue to keep from groaning.

"I can carry you, don't stress yourself," he huffed as we stopped so he could get the doors opened.

I shook my head but decided to conserve my energy while I waited. I guess I was so tired I didn't notice the signature on the other side. The doors chimed and they opened.

"Okay let's go and then the loading bay should be on the other side," Ezra said going forward.

"Good, I'm ready for a decent sleep," I remarked wanting to lighten the mood.

As we made our way to the center of the platform, we looked up and saw the Inquistor.

"Well, seems I have underestimated you Jedi."

Ezra POV

Great, just great, Mr. Creepy just had to show up. I growled lowly and Dad clutched my shoulder protectively. The Inquisitor ignited his lightsaber and stood waiting. I'm not sure how but Dad stood up straight staring the Inquisitor down.

"Let me borrow that," he ordered pushing me back and grabbing my saber.

"Uh sure," I backed off.

I have seen him protective before but never like this.

Kanan POV

I stood protectively in front of my son almost daring the Inquisitor to touch him.

"Seems I was right," he smirked.

I growled. I wasn't sure where all this energy came from, but I knew one thing. If I was meant to die I would do so protecting the one thing that meant the most. Igniting the blade, I charged forward.

Ezra POV

I watched in amazement as Dad fought off the Inquisitor. It almost seemed like they were dancing as they blocked blow after blow. At one point the Inquisitor separated us as he jumped over Dad's head.  I snapped out of my trance to hear Dad groan as a well aimed punch hit his chest.   I started forward only  to see his light saber swinging from it's place on the Inquisitor's belt. I grinned a plan forming in my head. Calling on the force I grabbed the lightsaber igniting it as flew into my hand. The Inquisitor's attention diverted to me for a just a second.

"Interesting," he said before igniting the second blade.

I swallowed hard gripping the blade tighter. Dad glanced at me, eyes softening for just a moment and then harden again.

'You don't have to do this,' his voice came over the bond.

'Yes, I do,' I answered.

'Fine, keep him distracted.'

'Why do I have to be the distraction?'

'Because I said so.'

'Uh, you're worse than Mom,' I joked. 

'Thank you, I'll take that as a complement. Ready?'

'Ready.'

'Now!'

With that we both charged striking well placed shots. Well, one of us was. Since I was still short, I was doing my best not to get my head cut off. Once when he wasn't looking I got a slash across his back which distracted him long enough for a well aimed slash across the chest.

"Impressive," the Inquisitor panted. "But it's not enough."

Quick as lightening he force shoved me back distracting Dad which caused him to be kicked in the ribs and then shoved back as well. I hit my head hard against the grate and quickly blinked to clear my vision. I sat up to see Dad twitching on the ground trying to get up as well. The Inquisitor took a step forward with the killing strike and something inside of me snapped. After all the years of Dad protecting me, holding me close when things got bad, it was finally my turn to protect.

"No!"

The Inquisitor turned to see me standing saber ignited the blade making it look like my eyes were glowing. He smirked and spun the saber toward me. I swung deflecting it but the swing thew me off balance. For a second I hung in mid air, eyes wide before plummeting to the walk below. I don't remember screaming or looking up into my father's eyes as I hit with a sickening crack, unbearable pain shooting through my head and neck. I blacked out hearing someone scream. 

"NO!

Kanan POV

Ow that hurt. My entire body protested the abuse it has been through. I cracked my eyes open to see the Inquisitor standing over me. This was it, I was going to die and Ezra would be left alone in this place.

"No!"

I knew that voice. Oh no! The Inquisitor turned and I could see the hatred written all over his face. I struggled to get up. He threw his lightsaber and I pushed my self up in time to see Ezra deflect the shot throwing him off balance. For just a moment I thought he was going to alright until he shifted and fell off with a screech. 

"NOOO!" I cried out reaching for him but I was too late. 

I crawled over to the edge just in time to see him slam into the walk way below with a sickening crack. I looked for any signs of him breathing but I was to high up so I looked desperately through the force. I felt a small spark from him but it was weak. Feeling so relieved that he was still alive, I closed my eyes to recenter my focus. I knew that the Inquisitor still posed a major threat. I rose to my feet glaring. 

"You shouldn't have done that," I said calmly.

"Why?" He smirked.

The grin fell off his face as I called for my lightsaber igniting it as it sailed into my hand.

"That was my son."

"One less Jedi in the galaxy," he taunted.

I bristled. I held one blade in front of my face in the traditional battle stance. He returned the gesture and we charged. It was time to end this. 

I hope you enjoyed and please let me know what you thought.