Undercover Part Two

Wow five thousand reads and over three hundred votes! You guys are awesome, thank you so much. The part Kanan has been dreading has arrived, please enjoy. 

Later that night.

Ezra POV

Dad said that he wanted to speak with me after dinner. I felt the worry flow off of him and wondered what could be wrong. The door slid open before I could knock.

"What's up?" I asked coming in.

Dad let the door shut before letting his mask fall. I could see the worry all over his face and his hands were shaking.

"Dad, what's wrong?" I asked sitting beside him.

He didn't respond for a few minutes. Finally he turned and stared at me.

"Dad?" His silence was starting to scare me. 

Dad sighed and grabbed me into a bear hug. Now I was really freaked out. 

"Ezra," he said before clearing his throat. "This isn't easy for me to say so please bare with me."

'OH NO! IS HE SICK?' I screamed in my thoughts. 

 "There is a mission coming up soon and Hera says that it is an undercover mission. I don't know how long it will be for and quite frankly I'm not sure if we should go through with it."

I let my shoulders sag in relief, it was just a mission. Wait did he say that it was undercover?"

"Undercover?" I asked. 

"Yes," he confirmed. 

"Will you have back up?" I asked nervously. I may be 11, but that didn't mean I couldn't worry about him.

"Not me Son, you, and that's what worries me," he answered. 

What? Me on a mission by myself?

"Where is this mission?" I asked quietly.

"The Imperial Academy here on Lothal," he said quietly.

The what? No, no way!

"I...I don't know what to say." 

Dad knelt down so we were face to face.

Kanan POV

"Ezra you are so young and have never been away from me for more than a few hours. Whenever something has gone wrong, I was able to step in and handle it. I can't this time. Hera keeps telling me that I can't protect you forever," I said brushing a few strands from his face.

He looked at me fearfully.

"Will this help take down the Empire?" He asked.

"Yes, at least put them back a few years," I said running a hand through his hair.

Ezra sighed and trembled. He could be strong in front of the others but when it was just me and him, that's when his age showed. He was still a frightened child in the middle of a war. Jedi Padawan or not, the thought of being away from me for more than necessary was terrifying.

"What do you think?" His voice small and quiet.

"I'm worried, but your mother's right. I can't protect you forever but that doesn't mean I can't try," I said pulling him into another hug.

He nuzzled his head under my jaw turning so I could feel his face, long eye lashes tickling my skin.

"Can I contact you through the force?" He asked.

"Not this time. Since I can't swoop in if something happens, I want to avoid disasters if possible. Which means, no excessive use of the force," I said pulling him away from me. "You are eleven and these boys are going to be bigger than you, so I will allow some to help you keep up with them."

I could tell that this didn't sit to well with him.

"Don't worry you'll have Zeb and Sabine, oh and chopper too," I chuckled.

"When do I leave?" He asked.

I smiled at him reassuringly.

"Two days from now, but don't worry we can do anything you want during that time."

Ezra threw his arms around me and whispered ok. I hugged him tight not really wanting to let go.

This was going to be a long mission.