0.2

Elena's POV

"Me and your father are getting divorced."

That's the only thing that kept repeating itself in my mind. I was frozen. I couldn't believe what I just heard.. that just cannot be true. My mum and dad's love was one of those real ones. At least, that's what I thought. They "weren't working out anymore, they were fighting too much" as my mum said just moments ago.

It was a beautiful day really, the ice had melted and I couldn't be more happy- things were starting to get good for me.

And then, this happens. My parents are getting a divorce. I've always dreamed of having a love like theirs. 25 years together is a big deal after all.

"Are you gonna say something..? Enna?" my mother asks me uneasily, waiting for my reaction.

But what is a proper reaction on this. Crying? Sobbing? Screaming? Leaving? Punching a wall? I don't think that any of those are convenient right now. I can feel my eyes prick with tears and I look over to my sister. She is fifteen, almost four years younger than me, you can't imagine what it's like to receive that kind of news at such well, young age.

I watch as she stands up from the couch, where my parents have gathered us half an hour ago, even though it seems like a year ago. Various thoughts are running through my head, none is clear enough to be said out loud.

A face appears in my head and I quickly stand up, grab my coat and walk out of the house.

It's been a year since we've last talked properly, but I hope that that person will be the thing she promised me to be when we were five- a friend.

I know this path too well, it isn't my head that is leading me, it is my feet. I look up and see a familiar two storage house. While walking up to the porch ready to knock on the door, I stop. What am I going to say: hey my parents are splitting up and you kinda popped in my mind? No. Oh god, this is so messed up.

Before I can overthink more, the door is being opened and the person stops in their tracks when they see me.

"Enna?" she asks, furrowing her eyebrows. "What are you doing here?"

My mind goes blank. I open my mouth to say something but forget what I wanted to say in the first place.

"My parents are getting a divorce." I say. She raises her eyebrows in shock and surprise, leaving her mouth a little open.

"I'm so sorry Enna."

I suddenly feel awkward so I start backing up.

"I don't even know why I came here. I just got the news and you were the first person that popped in my head, I know we haven't spoken in like a year, but I'm sorry everything got in the way, I'm sorry I know I'm rambling right now, why did I even come here, I make no sense okay I'm gonna go sorry again for bothering you I'm just-"

"You need to calm down" she smiles lightly.

"Okay" I let out a sigh.

"Do you wanna come in?"

"Yeah, sure."

I walk into the house and look at the walls and the pictures that are hanged on them. I feel as if nothing has changed. Even the house's smell is the same as I remember it. The living room is the same way it was a year ago.

"Tea?" she snaps me out of my thoughts.

"That'd be great, thanks."

I seat on the couch as she places my tea on the coffee table In front of me. She takes a seat on the armchair quetly.

I can feel the tension in the air as I'm looking for something, anything to say, it shouldn't be this awkward right? It's not like I'm drinking tea with the girl for the first time. But the worst part is that it feels like it.

I look up at her and notice that she's switching glances at everything in the room but me.

"I see you don't even have a little decency to look me in the eyes" I snap at her.

She still hasn't looked at me.

"Look at me, Aleisha."

Aleisha looks up and stares into my eyes.

"I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry? IM SORRY?" I start to raise my voice.

"That's all you have to say- sorry? Well let's see are you saying sorry for Leaving me alone when you knew that I was at my worse or replacing me, your best friend, just reminding you in case you forgot, with another girl you met at a party?" by this time I were screaming, but I didn't give a damn. "Well now I am sorry but sorry is not gonna cut it."

"Enna, you know that our friendship wouldn't have worked out anyway. We were going to different schools, going out with different people. It just changed, all of it"

I can't believe her words. Aleisha herself told me that those were the exact things that will never change. Oh how stupid of me to trust her.

"Do you know what's the worst thing? The worst thing is that you just left me, you stopped talking at me just like that, you started ignoring me without a little I don't know "hey Enna I don't wanna be friends with you anymore, bye" ". My voice cracks a little in the end, and it seems like something snaps in her, after she noticed it.

"I'm so sorry." I look her in the eyes and see genuine emotion in them. I can tell that she is really sorry. But I can't forgive her because how am I supposed to forget that my best friend well, ex best friend basically left me alone when I was at my lowest.

"You know what, all this tea and small talk and how have you been and I'm sorry and stuff like that – I don't care about that okay? I.dont.care. We both screwed up, yes. I should've fought for our friendship but I was scared. I was scared because I knew that I wasn't one of the people you would wanna hang out with anymore. You were craving for this life you have now. Many likes on facebook, new weekend, new hook up. I get it, trust me I do. All I wanted was the truth and you didn't give me it. You knew what I was going through, and still you drifted away from me and chose her. Okay. Okay. It's really okay. Actually thank you. Yes. Thank you for making me realize that some things really do not last forever. I'm actually happy because our friendship was really beautiful. I knew your deepest secrets, you knew mine. We drifted apart. Life came in the way. You apologised, I apologised. Now, if I may, I wanna move on with my life. So bye, Aleisha." I let it all out, every emotion that has bottled inside of me, has vanished, and I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

"Don't do this, Enna, we can talk, let's catch up." she asks hopefully.

"No. Now I'm the one who says bye." I go through the hall towards the front door, getting ready to leave.

I thought that things would've worked out, but actually forgot that there was too much damage already done.

While I'm walking back home, all the memories from the times when I was genially happy replay in my head over and over again. Why is it so hard to be happy now?

--------------------------------

a/n

like i said, it will get better, i swear

like, comment, share, vote

-emily