3.8

Third Person's POV

Both of them sit on the bench, next to each other, with a little space left between them, making sure they have no physical contact, even though they know that the emotional one is still there, somewhere.

Elena's cigarette, well, what's left of it, is on the ground. Harry is starring at the pavement underneath his feet, whereas Elena's too focused on the almost-faded polish on her nails.

They sit in silence, the wind is the only thing that can be hurt. After a couple of endless arguments in his mind, the boy decides to break the silence.

"How are you doing?" His voice is raspy and deep, but the little crack didn't go unnoticed by Elena.

She clears her throat. "Good, you?" Fighting to keep her voice steady and show that this encounter doesn't affect her, she replies.

He feels a little taken aback from her stern voice and short reply, but composes himself and mutters a 'good too'.

They end up sitting in silence again, thoughts running through their minds, not being able to choose one to voice it. Elena's eyes spark with the tiniest bit of hope as she comes across with a thought that kept bugging her. After minutes of struggling with her own self, she blurts out a question.

"Do you think we can be friends?" Harry snaps his head towards her, the question taking him by surprise.

"Um" Her head is now turned to him too, causing them to just stare into each others' eyes. "I don't know." He responds honestly, defending his words in his head. He didn't know, that's it.

"Okay. It was just a thought." Elena shakes her head. Of course he wouldn't reply with a yes or no, of course he wouldn't know. The atmosphere was now giving her a headache and burning her nerves. She suddenly gets up, making Harry get up also.

It was like what one of them did, affected the other, and what the other did, affected the first one. They were acting like magnets, not knowing that the reason behind it is their connected hearts.

"Well, it was nice seeing you, but I gotta go." Elena says with a tremble in her voice, as if she was going to start crying any second now. She clears her throat to get rid of the burning feeling in her chest, but fails to do so.

"Hey, are you okay?" Harry furrows his brows and reaches for her forearm. She snaps her head to his hand, now placed on her elbow, making him drop his hand to his side.

"I'm fine. This-" She motions with her hands around. "-whatever it was, it wasn't a good idea. I gotta go, Harry, bye."

And just like that, she stormed off, slipping through his fingers, once again. He was left standing, looking at the back of her head, with an even bigger emptiness in his heart, and he knew, that it can be fulfilled only by her.