Chapter 4 (Newt's Confession)

The sun was down, and there was a huge fire in the middle of the glade. Many of the gladers were fighting and betting on who would win. Gani sat down near the fire but she did sit alone, until Newt ran up and sat right next to her. "Hey how you doing, can I sit here" he asked her, she nodded without looking at him.
"Bit of a first day wasn't it Gani?" Gani turned at looked at him.
"No one has ever called me by my real name, they've only called me Greenie..." Suddenly embarrassed she looked down.
"Well I hated that, I was called Greenie too."
"Well thanks" Gani replied "I hate that name"
"Your not like the others too, not because your the only girl, you see something when you look at people, you look into their eyes and you make a face"
"Really, what do you see" she says looking up at him, probably sounding sarcastic even though she wanted to know herself.
"Like you actually care, like you will actually listen" Gani looked down. She knew that. She knew she was able to listen. Wanted to listen.
"I know"
"What? You knew that"
"I don't know how, but yes, so can you tell me some stuff about this place" she said changing the subject, she didn't feel like talking about that stuff right now.
"Oh yeah!" Newt responded "so let me tell you about a few of the jobs well we have the slicers, garden hands, runners,slopp-"
All the rest started fading to Gani. Runner, that's what she is, a runner!
"So that Minho guy, what is he?" She interrupted
"Oh he's a runner, and so am I"
"What do you do"
"We run the maze, which changes every night, so it is really hard, and depressing because we've been mapping it but we aren't getting that much closer."
Gani looked at him he looked sad again. In his eyes she could see it, she really wanted to comfort him all of a sudden.
She put her hand on his back as a tear emerged from his eye and was running down his cheek.
"I hate this place" he said "I don't want to be here" more tears came out but his voice stayed surprisingly steady "I want to go home" This was very surprising, she didn't expect any of the boys to be this open with her, especially on her first day.
"Newt" Gani said "don't give up hope, I know it seems impossible but we will someday go home, I promise"
Newt looked at her and wiped away his tears but he didn't look ashamed "I'm sorry, well um.. So what do you want to be"
"What job? Well I want to be a runner" Newt looked at her full in now.
"No, no you can't.. You can't be a runner, it's dangerous"
"Well I know it must be with all these weapons you want me to have but I need to be it, please" she looked at him not giving up her stare, just to make sure he didn't think she was weak
"I don't know, but you know Minho doesn't have a far route tomorrow in the maze so maybe I can ask, but I personally don't want you in the maze"
"Ok thanks for looking after me but I will be fine with Minho, he looks strong enough"
"Just remember 3 words, Run.Fight.Live. That's the most important thing you will ever learn in the maze" and with that Newt got up and walked towards some other gladers, leaving Gani to her thoughts.