Chapter 12.

I was anxiously pacing to and fro in my living room. A certain kind of restlessness had groped me. I was worried about Jackson and no matter how hard I tried to fill myself with good thoughts, it just wasn't working out. I was overcome by a dreadful feeling that Devon didn't treat his kid brother well and their parents had no clue about it.

I knew I wouldn't be able to breathe in peace unless I make sure Jackson is fine.

It was the first time I was visiting my neighbors'. I climbed onto their beautifully columned front porch and was just about to press the doorbell when I saw that the door was already slightly ajar. I acted upon my instincts and slowly parted the door open a little wider and stepped inside.

The moment I stepped inside the Parker's, an eerie vibe whipped me hard on the nerves. As I walked indoors, I felt weird.

There was nothing wrong in the air. It was normal just like the air in other houses but still I found it difficult to inhale it. I was uncomfortable as I looked around. Again, there was nothing wrong in my surroundings. The house was well furnished and looked homely too but then to it felt as though I had walked straight into the mouth of a desert....

There was no one around, not even a faint sound.

I wonder how could Jackson, or for that matter, anyone smile and laugh being at this place. The residence didn't give out the vibe being warm and welcoming towards visitors. Infact, it's the kind of house that would make you feel.....depressed?

But the interiors were nothing but swanky. The majestic chandelier hung from the ceiling, the furniture was of a very fine quality, the beautiful mantelpiece that also had a fireplace at the bottom center, artistically weaved carpets spread out on the floor and various wooden and glass artefacts, both vintage and modern, arranged on those wall shelves.

I presume that the Parkers could have lived in a place such as Beverly hills instead of here if they wanted. That being said, I didn't think the house would look boastful to any visitor. Rather it looked as if the house was like, trying to conceal the real identities of the family living in it...I wouldn't say that the family has a Big secret of some sort (or they could have, I don't know.) but there might be something really bad that needs to be kept hidden. And--

Oh, for Christ's sake Eleanor, stop imagining things!!

What are you even thinking?? You've only been in this house from the past one or two minutes and you can't draw inferences in such little span of time.

Guess, sometimes, instincts develop a knack of going overboard to judge things.

Everyone is normal. Everything is normal.

So hold your freaky bones together.

I exhaled an uneasy breath. I was already feeling like a creep for having entered my neighbors' house unannounced. I rather be decent enough and step out to ring the doorbell and wait for someone to answer the door. As I turned around to walk out of the house with that intention, I heard muffled voices coming from one of the inner rooms to my right.

My pulses quickened as I realized that the voices belonged to Devon and Jackson. I knew it was morally incorrect to eavesdrop but still I found myself inching stealthily forward. Finally I was right outside the room and I stood there soundlessly to hear the conversation going on inside.

"......and that is why I did not tell you...." Jackson was was speaking gloomily to Devon who was on his knees to level himself with the kid, "I know that locket was very important to you...I'm-I'm sorry I broke it..."

"It's not your mistake. You didn't break it purposely, buddy." assured Devon in a soft, mollifying tone. "Infact I'm sorry for being so hard on you....I couldn't be a good elder brother to you. I'm a bad person. You don't deserve any of it. I'm sorry..."

Devon's voice cracked with guilt and somehow I could feel the weight grow in my heart.

"You feel sorry everytime you are rude to me, Devon," said the little boy. "I know you love me and you can never think of hurting me but sometimes why do you hate me so much? Did I do something bad?"

"No. You didn't do anything bad. I would never exchange you for anything in the world!" replied Devon meaningfully at once. "I-It's just that...I-I...I don't know how to say this to you...but trust me, you are a good boy and I want to be a loving and caring brother to you always b-but...I-I'm unable to do that..."

My breaths hitched seeing Devon's eyes turn moist and a lone tear roll down his cheek. He rubbed his eyes dry with his sleeves and hugged his kid brother tightly.

The emotions were real. The pain was real. I never thought Devon was capable of having a sensitive side to him. Seeing him like that, it's hard to believe that the same guy is downright blunt and callous to the people around him.

I stepped backwards and retreated from there. I was about to walk out from the front door when---

"Stop."

My breaths ran cold as that sharp voice hit my ears from behind. My feet came to a dead halt and I turned around to find myself face to face with Devon who was stood with a clenched jaw and empty eyes that resembled two dark holes.

"What were you here for?" he asked.

"I-I..." I stammered.

"You heard Jackson and me, didn't you?"

A chill ran down my spine hearing that dark tone of his voice. "I-I shou--should go."

And I departed at once.

Instagram: rashmita_b