Chapter 46.

Instagram: rashmita_b

It was dusk by the time I got home after meeting my estranged friends. It was saddening to see so much of bitterness, pain and fights between them. I really hope Stef and Adam stop accusing each other but discuss their problems calmly and openly with each other without any form of insinuation. They are best friends first which makes it a more sensitive matter.

I sat down on the front porch of my house. I didn't wanna go inside. Ever since Katherine had started living here, I just couldn't shrug off the feeling of how this house didn't count as a home to me anymore.

I was facing the same situation Devon had all these years and yet it was hurtful that he claimed our lives weren't similar...

I closed my eyes shut. My mind went back to Stef and Adam. I really wanted them to be happy together like before. They were two of the most amazing people I knew. I didn't want to lose my friends.

They weren't sure of getting into a relationship on the first place. I was the one who insisted they should....so it is all my fault that there is so much of turmoil between the four of us now?

I-I feel so lost and alone....

"You're not alone, sweetheart."

I snapped my eyes open to see Devon standing at the gates wearing denim jeans and a white swag shirt with a charming smile lighting up his face. He looked impeccably handsome.

"Never think you're alone, Eleanor," he sat as he came over and sat down alongside me on the porch. "I am there with you like your shadow everywhere you go. You can empty all your pain and anxieties into me."

I was dazed looking into his eyes that held so much of depth for me. I felt peace and bliss in my heart as he held my hand.

"It's not your fault, Eleanor," he spoke affectionately again, "We all want the best for the people we love. But sometimes things don't work out. You didn't see the future so you shouldn't blame yourself for the problems between your friends."

"You're saying this because you want to make me feel good," I said.

"Nope. I'm saying this because it's true," he said, a soft smile playing on his lips that soothed me completely.

I leaned towards him and he wrapped an arm around my shoulder. I placed my head against his chest and wound both my hands around him and we hugged tightly/ I snuggled deep into his arms letting his warmth spread over every inch of my being.

"I don't want to lose you," I whispered.

"You won't lose anybody you love and care for," said Devon, kissing my hair.

"I feel like I've been given every precious thing in the world whenever you're with me," I said, listening to his heart beats that were music to my ears.

"You can count on me always, Eleanor. Everything that has to get to you has to pass through me," he said fondly.

I parted from him a little and gazed up at his smiling relaxed face. "Why can't you and I be like this always without any stress and complications between us?" I asked, looking into his pristine blue eyes.

Devon continued looking at me with all the adoration in his eyes.

"Eleanor!"

The sudden voice that called out to me from behind shook me off completely. I found nobody sitting next to me. My heart was beating fast. Devon was nowhere around. I had been hallucinating him all this while.