Chapter 23.

I'd be a very bad narrator of the party if I didn't speak about Cheryl Parker---mother of Jackson and step-mother of Devon Parker.

She looked sophisticatedly exquisite, if a word like that makes any sense at all to describe someone. Infact, not to sound mean or anything, she looked like a moving mannequin to me wearing that bright red gown and laden with so much of costly accessories and make up. She looked more artificial than human.

And then again, she mostly kept herself surrounded only by those people who matched up to her elite status. For example, when Josh's mum approached her with a friendly hello and tried to make talk with her, Cheryl seemed so disinterested as she greeted her with a forced smile. And with Kelly's mum, Cheryl was all so effervescent.

On the other hand, Devon's father, cordial and gracious as ever, played the perfect host, talking to everyone and having them in splits with his sense of humor.

Mr. Parker and Cheryl come across as being poles apart...

"Wondering how much of a fortune it might have cost Mr. Parker to make his wife look like a glittering constellation?" I heard Adam ask as he appeared at my shoulder.

"Well yeah, actually!" I laughed.

"Just take a guess of Mrs. Parker's age," he prompted.

"I'don't know..." I said thoughtfully, "She looks quite young as compared to Mr. Parker."

"Mum said Cheryl is just 24."

"What??" I blurted out, my eyes popping wide open in shock. "Twenty--24???Only?"

"Don't tell me you didn't think it ever," he gave me an amused look.

"Well, I didn't think she could be this young," I admitted honestly. "I mean Mr. Parker is in his early forties and to think she is 24---almost half his age! I thought it was too far-fetched to happen in real life."

Plus, nowadays, there were women who looked way too younger than their age with an amazingly fit body that could put the actual youth to shame. Does Jennifer Aniston look like she is close to 50?

"Classic case of a middle aged man falling for a young and extremely attractive teen girl," said Adam. "Since Jackson is six, Cheryl must have conceived him when she was eighteen or nineteen. Mr. Parker and she must have got married before or after that."

"So...apparently Cheryl is just six years older to Devon?"

Adam shrugged.

So Mr. Parker married Cheryl after Devon's mother's death. To think that Devon was only twelve or thirteen when his father married an 18 year old girl sounds pretty much weird. Atleast to me.

My eyes automatically scanned the surroundings for Devon. I spotted him fooling around with Jackson and his kindergarten buddies. I never saw Devon smile and laugh so wholeheartedly. He literally was looking like a child himself.

Devon even fondly carried Jackson up in his arms and was guffawing with him. He really did love his kid step brother a lot. And Devon looked breathtakingly gorgeous with that smile on his face. He should smile often, not smirk. Although he looks hot when he smirks. but he---

SHUT THE FUCK UP, ELEANOR!!!

I looked away from him at once. It's terrible to be losing self-control like that.

Right then the lights went out for all the white spotlights to come to life and concentrate on the central area of the hall. It was time for the couple dance. A soft romantic tune played out from the speakers. One by one all those who wanted to dance found a partner for themselves incase if they didn't have already and proceeded to the dance floor hand in hand.

I saw Stef and Adam swaying to the rhythm. Stef had her hands wrapped around his neck while he held her by her waist. They looked completely lost in each other as they danced.

I felt so happy seeing them together. I was grateful I didn't cause any issues between them.

Once when Adam's back was towards me, Stef happened to spot me from over his shoulder. She looked remorseful but I beamed at her in assurance. I watched her face light up and I knew all was well between us.

It was not long after that I realized Devon was missing. I looked around but he was nowhere to be found. Where did he go?

Right then a man dressed in a tuxedo who was serving drinks walked up to me and handed over a note to me.

"I was told to give it to you," he said and strode away. I unfolded the piece of white paper and read the contents.

Meet me in the kitchen area. Come alone.

--Devon.

Instagram: rashmita_b