Chapter 45.

Instagram: rashmita_b

"Take care, Eleanor," Gran smiled at me.

"I'll miss you, Gran," I told her, feeling sad. "Wish you'd stay a few more days with us."

"I miss my small town. Been away for long. Need to go back now," she said as the cool morning breeze swept past our faces, "but I'll drop by soon."

"Are you...are you mad at me, Gran?" I asked, looking at her anxiously.

"Of course not! I can never be mad at my honeycake," she smiled broadly.

"I love you, Gran," I hugged her tight, feeling incredibly happy.

"Love you too, sugar," she said fondly. "I just want the best for you always."

Outside the gates, Katherine was helping Papa load Gran's bags in the cab.

"What do you think of her?" I asked Gran, looking over at Katherine. "I mean you were rather unusual when she arrived."

"Nothing like that, cupcake. Just didn't expect Eron to bring a woman home," she responded.

"Hey, mom! You're all set for a happy journey!" Papa called out.

I walked out of the gates with Gran. Papa gave her a warm hug. Katherine and she shared an awkward side hug.

"Call us when you reach home." Papa told Gran as she climbed on to the backseat of the cab. She waved at the three of us from the window and we watched the cab zoom out of sight.

"Gotta go. Have a press conference," Papa told Katherine and me. "Eleanor...." his voice was a soft silent whisper as he looked at me with remorse in his eyes. He was very upset about last night.

I stepped towards him, placed my head on his chest and hugged him. I can never see my father hurt. It pained me a lot. I felt him breath in relief as he would his arms lovingly around me.

After he left for work, I started to walk back indoors to get ready for school.

"Eleanor, please listen," Katherine called out from behind. I stopped but I didn't look back at her.

I wanted to apologize for yesterday," she said, walking upto me. "I'm sorry that Eron couldn't spend time with you because of me. I'm really sorry..."

"Not just about yesterday," I said in a low voice. "You forgot to apologize for keeping my father away for so many months altogether."

***

I saw Devon sitting under a tree in the school campus and reading a book. And I also saw how so many girls around were openly checking him out. I rolled my eyes in annoyance. Is it so fucking difficult to understand that Devon is my boyfriend?

But I was mad at him.

Ever since last night, he didn't call or message me even once. Like he made absolutely no attempts to get back to me. Like I wasn't important enough for him. If he doesn't care a damn, I don't either.

Just then, he looked up from the book and his exotic eyes met mine. I felt weak in the heart and I was staring at him mesmerized. But Devon looked down at the book again as though he didn't see anyone significant.

That irked me completely.

Attitude, huh? Who does he think he is? I will show him I'm least bothered about his existence.

I stomped my foot and walked off.

Devon ignored me in all the classes we shared that day. He did not even for once look in my direction. Not even during lunch break. That got me very restless and agitated.