Chapter 18.

I got all the stationery and materials that I needed from the store. The plan was to make a giant size greeting card for Devon. For that I got a tri fold poster board that stood around 5 feet tall. I searched on the internet for ideas to decorate the life size card. Jackson was very enthusiastic about the whole thing and finally when we had made up our mind about how to go with it than we sat down to execute it.

I first wrote a few 'Happy Birthday' lines in calligraphy (I used to go for calligraphy classes with Adam) inside the card and next it was all about drawing, colouring, painting, cutting and sticking all over the card at the right places. I'd never done so much of art work in my life!

Turned out the little boy was really good at drawing. The stuff that he drew on the greeting card were very cute and adorable. He played around with glue while sticking the various shiny things on the card for decoration.

Jackson had written down a lot of adorable notes for Devon in small bits of coloured paper. So I planned to make lots of normal sized greeting cards and put one note into each of the cards. I looked up on the Internet and found lots of amazing greeting card designs with pop up.

Next, we watched some cool YouTube videos to learn origami and managed to make flowers, birds and animals out of coloured paper.

I knew of a bakery that accepted orders online to make customized cakes. I placed an order with them to bake a chocolate cake that resembled a large CD player.

Mr. Parker helped us to decorate the living room of his house with balloons, streamers and other festoons.

"This looks absolutely incredible! Wait for Devon to get back, I'm sure he would love it," said Mr. Parker in the evening when everything was set.

The giant greeting card was placed right in the centre of the room with the other small greeting cards surrounding it. All the cards were surrounded with 3 feet long candles cut out from thermocol. The cake was kept at a distance while we placed the various origami all over the room.

"Devon has always loved art and craft," said Mr. Parker in a nostalgic tone. "And both of you have put in tremendous lot of efforts for this, especially you, Eleanor. I'm sure Devon will appreciate it."

"But where is he? He has been gone since morning," I said.

"Probably he has gone to visit his mother...." a pall of gloom descended Mr. Parker. "Anyway," he spoke again, reviving himself. "I cannot thank you enough for what you did, Eleanor. Have fun you two at the party. See you later."

That startled me. "Mr. Parker, aren't you staying back," I called out to him as he was leaving from the front door of the house.

"Devon wouldn't appreciate Cheryl and I being here. And I don't want to spoil his mood today," said Mr. Parker wistfully.

Jackson and I watched him walk out through the door. I inhaled deeply. Hopefully Devon will like everything. Hopefully he will accept my sorry...

Right then, my phone beeped. It was Adam.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Hey, why are you sounding so nervous?" he asked in surprise from the other end.

"Waiting for Devon to be back...I just hope he likes the surprise and not be mad at me anymore," I said anxiously.

There was a thoughtful pause from the other end following my words. "You had a fall out with Luke over the phone a couple of days back, right?" Adam asked quietly.

"Um, yeah...." I said.

"So are things sorted out with him now?"

"No...."

"I guessed so," he sounded grave, "It's just that you aren't concerned about settling matters with Luke but the fact that Devon is annoyed with you is definitely bothering you a lot."

My eyes widened hearing that and I was tongue tied. "Why-Why did you call? A-Anything important?" I stammered.

"No, just wanted to ask you how did Devon like the surprise. Because when Stef and I had visited you in the afternoon, you were smeared with paint and adhesives. So just wanted to know whether the pain and efforts had paid off 'cause Devon is a complicated personality. Anyway, take care."

"Thanks."

Just as I hung up, Jackson and I heard a car pull up in the driveway. The tiny tot ran to the window and peeked outside, confirming the arrival to be Devon. We waited with baited breath for him to walk inside and when he did, Jackson yelled 'Surprise!'

"Happy birthday, Devon," I wished him.

But the reaction wasn't what I or the little boy had expected. Devon looked completely taken aback at first but then as the seconds rolled by, I saw his hands curling into harsh fists and the rage that stormed his orbs. His expressions had become stony and his body language fierce. And the next thing I knew, he had lunged forward towards the giant greeting card and cruelly pushed it down to the floor. My heart sank as he destroyed all the candles and tore apart every greeting card.

I was just stood there numb with shock unable to think of or say anything, horrified by his dark and dangerous temper. Pain slashed through my heart but all I could do was hear Jackson crying in the background while Devon tore all the origami to bits, harshly took down all the delicate decorations and over turned the large cake that was shaped like a CD player.

In a matter of minutes everything that I had created no longer existed. And the entire place was in shambles.... I couldn't bear it for it was unbelievably painful...

My breaths hitched in fear when Devon walked over to him. His stormy eyes drilled into mine which caused my throat to run dry in turmoil.

"I hate art," he spat, gritting his teeth," I hate each and every fucking thing in this room!!"

And he spun around and made his way upstairs leaving a trail of destruction in his wake...

***

It was a sound night. But all I could feel was chaos, restlessness and despair. I was pacing to and fro in my room in pyjamas, in a state of absolute distress, pain and frustration.

How could Devon do what he did? Fine, if he didn't like the art work, he could have just told me on the face. Why go ahead and ruin everything to pieces!

I had put in so much of hard work and efforts to make everything! I even sacrificed my sleep last night to plan this surprise but no! it doesn't matter in the least to Devon. And poor Jackson, I feel so sorry for him that he had to see all this. Devon didn't even think of the little innocent child while ripping apart everything! Ugh!

You know what, it was all my fault to begin with. Why was there even a need to plan this surprise? And that too for such a harsh and blunt person like Devon!

So here I am bearing the fucking fruit of my mistake.

Pure amazingness.

I slumped down onto the bed, whining in my head. I fell back on the mattress. I was so tired and exhausted that before I knew, sleep had found me. I was thankful that no nightmares woke me up that night.

***

Instagram: rashmita_b