Chapter 23.1

My breaths failed me when I read that. An intense desire of going to him took over me. It was hard to fight it off but I knew I had to. I was tempted but I resolved to not give in. I wouldn't go anywhere near him. I shouldn't. I had no reason to.

I tried to forget all about the note. I tried harder to resist the pull I felt towards him. But the restlessness was killing me. When I couldn't endure the torture anymore, I slipped out from the party.

I have a reason to meet him all right. I deserve an explanation for his strange behavior tonight, I reasoned in my head.

When I got to the kitchen area, the entire place was clouded with darkness. Nothing could be seen. That irked me. He sure as hell was playing around with me tonight. And I like a fool was falling for all his games. Cursing myself, I was just about to leave when a small candle began to glow on the kitchen counter. It was then that I saw that the candle was actually stood on a small round cake, my favourite chocolate cake and standing behind the kitchen counter was Devon.

I felt a sudden wild rush when I failed to steer my eyes off his intense exotic orbs. It was like Devon didn't really need a voice to express himself. His alluringly sharp looks, his enchanting eyes did justice to him better than words could ever do. His presence was like a blazing intoxicant that unapologetically takes away the innocence and purity of the glass it fills....

And I was drawn to him like a moth to a flame.

"I can now celebrate my pending birthday since my guest is here."

His passionate voice gave me chills. I stood alongside him, watching him as he lit two other long white candles on the counter before he blew the one on the cake.

There was no one in there. Just him and me. And candles. And silence. And my forbidden desires burning me.

"Why did you give me the rose if you wanted me to trash it?" I asked him after he cut the cake.

"Your Gran," he responded. "She saw me talking to you. And she hates me."

"Why?" I was startled.

"I called her an old hag," said Devon bluntly. "By mistake," he added after a moment's pause.

I clamped a hand over my mouth in shock. "You what?!" I sputtered. "You called her ugly? Worse, you called her old?!! Old?? Like seriously?!! How could you?!!"

"Didn't you hear the part where I said 'by mistake'?" he countered.

"Yeah. Like Devon Parker is the epitome of politeness and etiquette," I smiled in sarcasm.

He shot me a grumpy look. "Two days ago, I was at the supermarket for some fucking batteries. I didn't know it was your Gran who got all giggly and chatty with the cashier. And I fucking hate waiting in lines. It was only when your Gran turned around than I realized my blunder."

"Did you say sorry to her?" I asked curiously.

"I had to because she was your Gran. But apparently she didn't like my version of an apology," Devon shrugged.

I was so pissed at that. Honestly, the world knew how amazing he was at saying sorry. Okay, maybe not the world but surely me and few other poor souls who have been at the receiving end of his gentle, very gentle words.

"Devon, you're the limit!" I yelled at him in a low voice in frustration. "I don't expect much but atleast watch your words in front of Gran! You can try and be polite to her if not anybody else. Look what trouble your nonchalant attitude has got you into with her!"

"Why do you care about it so bad, Eleanor?" Devon asked, looking at me with dark brooding eyes.

"Devon," I gasped as he pressed closer to me

"Why do you want me to be in your Gran's good books? It's not like you want to be with me and so you want her to approve of us. Is it?" he said, plastering me to the kitchen counter.

The blaze in his eyes took my breath away. "I-I.." I stammered against the heat of his breathing.

I gripped his shoulders hard holding back a loud moan when his hot mouth was all over my neck and shoulders, kissing, biting and sucking every spot of my skin leaving his mark. His hold around my waist tightened as he ran the tip of his moist fiery tongue across my collarbones. My shivering hands found their way to his luscious hair as he placed open mouthed kisses on every spot on my throat. His soft sexy groans of pleasure against my aroused skin drove me into a wild state of frenzy.

I felt an untamed desire explode within my body as he thrust his hips harder against me as held me by my neck and lined wet smooches across my jawline.

I was heaving breathlessly against his hard chest by the time he stopped his wild sensual assault and pressed his forehead against mine.

His heavy breathing meshed with my erratic ones as he whispered in a dark desirous voice, full of need, "Kiss me, Eleanor. Again."

That pulled me out of the exotic trance I was in and brutal seeds of pain and guilt were sown deep in my chest.

"I-I can't..." I said in a cracked voice as I gently pushed him away and made space for myself to stand straight.

"Damn why??!!"

I gasped in fear closing my eyes tight shut as Devon banged the kitchen counter hard in anger and frustration. The next moment itself he must have realized his folly because I felt his body calm down against mine.

"Why, Eleanor?!" he spoke, his voice laced with discontent. "Why aren't you letting me come close to you? You're even single now and we both can feel there's something amazing between us. And I know you're sure as hell not missing that douche of a pig. Then why?!"

"You won't understand and I can't explain it to you...." I felt a pang in my heart and it was growing everytime I breathed.

Inspite of all the guilt accumulated within me, I still didn't protest when he took my hand delicately into his, brought it upto his face and kissed the back of my hand. I couldn't deny myself the pleasure of feeling his lips on yet another part of my body.

"I've learnt from life that we make certain choices based on our likes and conveniences and then there is someone else too who also chooses things for us and we have to accept it whether we want or not. That someone is known as destiny or fate. I am your fate, Eleanor, and you have to accept it."

"And I believe that we have the power to change our destiny with our thoughts and feelings," I told him with resolve in my eyes.

Devon let out a dry chuckle. "That's true enough. But how will you change your destiny 'cause it's none but only I who is always in your thoughts and feelings. So, basically, you want the exact person destiny wants to give you. You want me, Eleanor."

My breaths ran cold at his passionate words. My heart hammered in my chest as he cupped my face in his warm hands and brought his hungry lips closer to mine. I was tempted but fear and pain got the better of me.

I pushed Devon away and ran out of there, somehow containing my tears in my broken self. I didn't let the strength leave my legs until I was back home and on my bed.